Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten collar (beastie bands) are they safe?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ThursdayNext, May 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM.

1. ThursdayNext

ThursdayNext PetForums Junior

We have had our beautiful new kitten for nearly a week :Cat. She is a little tabby point Siamese and will be kept indoors although we may take her out on a lead/harness if she shows interest. It's been 14 years since I've had a kitten and I've just remembered just how tiny they are :)

The reason I would like to put a collar on her - with a little bell - is mainly as I have two children (and a dog) so we will be alerted if she is nearby so they can be ultra careful, and also so we can easily find her - not a problem at the moment as she is like a baby cling-on but I'm sure this will change very soon.

I've had three (indoor) cats previously and one wore a collar but not my two most recent cats (well this spans over the last 25 years ;-) - so I am not sure if I am doing the right thing by putting a collar on our new lovely kitten especially as she will stay indoors.

I initially bought a breakaway kitten collar but I am concerned after reading some stories about them, I've heard excellent things about the Beastie bands (and have ordered one). They are not elastic but velcro instead. I can't see any downsides so far, or issues with safety, but I wanted to check with you wonderful knowledgeable people in case I've missed something!

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you :)

ThursdayNext

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm sorry to say this but I think the Beastie Band collar looks more dangerous than the quick release collars .
    I would not advise putting a collar on any cat or kitten but one that stretches which could trap a leg in is just asking for trouble

3. ThursdayNext

Thanks Buffie :)

Everything I have read about them has said they are the safest collar you can get. It's so long since I've had a cat in a collar that I really cant remember how they work.

If they are velcro surely they will just release? - unlike elastic that stretches but doesn't break open? Hard to know as I haven't seen them other than on the internet but they look just like the kitten/puppy identification collars but for bigger cats?

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

When I read the description of the collar it says that the material stretches but doesn't say by how much .
    Also I would be concerned that Velcro wouldn't released all that easily if the kitten / cat were to get caught .
    I am not a fan of collars so would not be willing to risk it .
    Beastie Bands are American cat collars that have a variety of funky designs to suit every cats purrsonality. They are made from neoprene and are soft and stretch along their entire length making them safe and comfortable to wear. Fasten with velcro so they can be cut to fit any size of cat, from kitten to adult. Each collar has an eyelet hole where you can attach a bell and name tag.

Copied from Google

ThursdayNext likes this.
  5. ThursdayNext

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I wouldn't use any collar, especially not one with a bell annoying the poor kittens ears with near constant noise.

Beastie Bands do not break open, the Velcro stays locked together.

lorilu and buffie like this.
  7. ThursdayNext

Thanks for your reply spotty cat - I've read such good reviews about the collar and breaking open. Aren't they pretty much the same as the puppy and kitten identification collars - just bigger?

8. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

Not really a fan of collars but I haven’t heard of this one so just looked it up on Amazon. This is the very first review which doesn’t fill me with confidence...

B9863036-B766-415B-8AB9-C31445C048CE.jpeg

ThursdayNext and buffie like this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Like you I would not recommend collars and definitely was suspicious of this one.
    Thanks for linking the above, it is ,as I feared more dangerous than the snap release collars

lorilu, ThursdayNext and pennycat like this.
  10. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

@ThursdayNext i wouldn’t risk it - especially on a small kitten

buffie and ThursdayNext like this.
  11. ThursdayNext

Thanks everyone - so glad I posted - I thought it had looked safer but I definitely won't be using one now! My last two cats didn't wear a collar - I just thought it might be useful if I could hear where she was while she is so tiny - but I will abandon the idea.

Thanks again :)

huckybuck, buffie and pennycat like this.
  12. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

You've said she is a little Siamese kitten so I reckon you'll always know where she is by her voice :-D

lorilu, Willsee, huckybuck and 3 others like this.
  13. ThursdayNext

She is definitely very chatty :Cat

huckybuck likes this.
  14. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Both my cats have Ancol breakaway collars, but I didn't put collars on until they were 4 months - around the time they were neutered, because I didn't feel they were tough enough to break the collars if they got stuck.

Hugo climbs the tree in our garden and I found the collar under the tree a few times so have full confidence it breaks when needed.

I don't think I'd use any other collar, but that's just because it does what I think it should

ThursdayNext likes this.
  15. ThursdayNext

Thanks Lumboo :Cat - I have seen good reviews of the anicol collars but I not so sure now - she will be an indoor cat- I only wanted to know where she is so I could keep her safe. She does have quite a good Siamese meow already ;-)

16. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

My cats are indoor in the sense they have a cat proofed garden, so don't roam. They wear the collars so I know where they are, just like you wanted with your kitten

ThursdayNext likes this.
  17. ThursdayNext

Thanks for that Lumboo - good to know :Cat I felt that I was doing the wrong thing for my kitten but I was just trying to keep her safe. The ancol ones look very good.

18. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Another one that’s against collars on cats.
    The cats have their usual places so I can take a guess where each will be, if I’m worried I call them and they come running.. so far.

lorilu likes this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's the key! @ThursdayNext Train kitten to come when called. It's not difficult. Designate a place to be the recall place. ( I use a certain spot in the kitchen) Call kitten (or in the early days, lure her) to that place and reward with a treat. In the case of tiny kittens you don't want to give too many treats, so I would use something like a sliver of cooked chicken or other plain meat. Cook some up, shred it with your fingers and freeze it. Take a little sliver out each day for her recall training.

Of course you can purchase freeze dried pure proteins as well.

I am another that doesn't like collars on cats, and certainly not anything that jingles. Imagine having to listen to that every time you move, and cats have super sensitive hearing.

Willsee likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice