Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten climbs too high!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Helena91, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

Hi again! Another worry about my 10 month old kitten Willow! This time with a dangerous new game she has found. She likes to climb up doors.... She is a VERY active girl and somehow manages to clamber up on top of the doors, and she can't get down on her own, I'm sure of it. This evening she's been on the bathroom door and the bedroom door. I can't reach her and if my husband's not home I have to get something to stand on to get her down. She only seems to do it when I'm at home but I am terrified I will come home one day and find her with broken legs :( Is there anything I can do to stop her doing this? I have been wondering if there are any kind of toys/enrichment activities I can buy which she can use when I am not around. I think some of her behaviour might be due to boredom, as I am keeping her and her sister as indoor cats.

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One of our family cats used to do this when I was a child. Very unnerving! We all had to get into the habit of looking upwards before closing a door!

But many cats love to climb and rest high up. Does Willow have plenty of safe places to climb as alternatives to the doors e.g. ceiling high cat trees?

Or you could put shelves up a wall creating a safe slope of 45 degrees, going up to a tall cupboard or wardrobe. Put a fleece or cat bed on the top of the cupboard.

When my girls were kittens my OH made lots of high perches and carpet covered vertical and horizontal poles for them to climb. We fitted them in the stairwell and the cats loved them. We still have a couple of these in use 6 years later!

Here are some ideas you could copy to catify your home by utilising the space above your heads as well as the floor space. I think Willow would love it!

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/mandarinmarie/diy-catification-and-climbing-cat-shelves-furnitur/

TriTri and kimthecat like this.
  3. Helena91

Oh those look amazing! At the minute we have just one small cat tree, I was worried about getting a bigger one in case they fell, but I guess they are old enough now to know better. Gonna have to look into doing some of these, thanks for the inspiration!

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think they are less likely to fall off a cat tree, (than a wooden door), as cat trees are made for climbing and are covered in grippy fabric or sisal etc which kitties can get their claws into.

The shelves my OH put up for our kittens had offcuts of carpet nailed to them so the kitties could grip with claws as they landed.

If you want the ultimate in climbers have a look at these from Hicat (they are very expensive but look wonderful).

https://www.hicat.co.uk/product-overview

If my cats were indoor only I would invest in a couple of these towers, [as well as putting up shelves to tops of cupboards]. :) But I have a cat-proofed garden with two 30 ft holly trees which the girls love to climb - right to the top!. :)

Helena91 likes this.
  5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Over the years I've had cats that have climbed anything - including doors ! They never fell off but sort of slid down the door when they'd had enough of the view high up !

this was the only time that one of them caused my heart to migrate to my mouth !

Scan0003.jpg
    he was about 10ft up but got down safely.

chillminx, TriTri and Treaclesmum like this.
  6. Helena91

Glad to know it's not just mine! I actually held back and watched to see if she could get down earlier today and she surprised me, by doing some sort of 'parkour' between a wardrobe, shelf, bookcase and bed, safely to the ground :D Still pretty scary though. We are moving into a bigger place soon and planning to get a catio, we will try to incorporate some of those walls and shelves to make an activity centre for them. Hopefully they will use it to sharpen their claws as well, instead of our sofa and rug! :mad:

chillminx and TriTri like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice