Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten chattering... Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by HeartofClass, Jan 30, 2012.

1. HeartofClass

HeartofClass PetForums VIP

One of my two kittens constanly chatters at toys. He gets this crazy look in his eyes and his tail starts moving weirdly. I'm not sure he knows it's just a toy :D Is it normal? My other kitten plays with the toys too but never chatters at anything.

2. Georgies Mum

Georgies Mum PetForums Member

Georgie chatters all the time when she is in hunt mode. Especially if she can see birds outside our house, but her little toy mousey gets hunting sounds too! She was even chattering at small snowflakes when I left this morning. It's so funny! She makes a sort of clacking sound, like when humans click their tongue against the roof of their mouth (hard to explain without sound!).

3. HeartofClass

Ohhh good, so my Tim isn't the only one :D I mean I've heard of cats chattering before but I've never actually seen it and we've had a ton of cats already, It's really a funny noise :D

4. Georgies Mum

Georgie also plays fetch with tied up crisp packets. She will actually bring it back to us and wait for us to throw it again. Ahh cats, so amusing at times :thumbup:

5. HeartofClass

What I love about cats is how unique they are, each has its very own characteristics and traits :smile5:
    Here I just uploaded a video of my Tim chattering, does your Georgie do something like that?
    Tim chattering - YouTube

6. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Seb does this when he's watching the birds from the window and when he's playing with his favourite mouse and his ping pong balls :D

I think he's going to be a bit of a hunter when he goes out, just as long as he doesn't bring me presents :D

7. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

Yep my cat chatters at lights and shadows and does the flicky swayey tail thing.

8. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Your Tim is gorgeous :001_tt1: Seb does exactly that :D

9. Georgies Mum

Oh my goodness,that is exactly the same noise. Makes me chuckle so much.

10. HeartofClass

Can you imagine putting them in the same room and playing, lolol all the chatter sounds :w00t:

11. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Roesja, the cat of my youth, used to do that when obsesrving an insect or a bird....
    Never heard any of my present cats do it, except for Xena, once.
    But then, they usually hunt outside, so I will not be there to see and hear it

12. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

very normal - its a kind of cat 'bagsie its mine' :D

13. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

my kitten is very talkative compared to our older cat . today she nigh on gave me a heart attack . id just loaded the washing machine and turned it on and then i heard really loud miowing , i panniced and ran to the machine and looked in the door , she was still miowing but she wasnt in the machine , she was in with the tortoises chatting with them while they ate there lunch , she obviously thinks they are deaf or maybe its because they dont talk back :)

14. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

they don't chatter - mine chirp!! lol

Freddy does it all the time - when it's dinner time he chirps instead of miaows, and when i get home he does it too - i love it!

Tilly's picked up on his habit and has started doing it too - see....animals can talk back!!! lol :)

15. porps

porps Swollen Member

Frankie does exactly that too. And rumble constantly chirrups.

16. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

mine both do it, kinda reminds me of a bird, first time i heard it i was like that cant be normal... i thought they had somehow got hold of a bird and it was trying to get free lol, mine do it as a kinda follow me thing, no matter where in the house they are if one does it the other one sprints to him, shadow also does it when hes lying on my face trying to kill me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice