Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten biting and scratching me

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gizmothemog, Apr 9, 2019.

1. gizmothemog

gizmothemog PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a 9 week old kitten. He is quite shy but when he is calm he will let me stroke him and will very often cuddle up to me to go to sleep. However the past few days he has been quite rough. Even when we’re not playing he will pounce, scratch and bite my hands and arms- he tends to wake me up by doing it. I have done research and followed the advice carefully (no yelling, don’t yank your hand away, don’t use your body to play etc). When he does reek havoc on my hands I tell him “No.” firmly and move my hand away, however this only stops him for a few seconds before he starts again. Sometimes if I keep saying no he’ll stop and go play with something else but I need a long term solution- his playing is starting to hurt and I don’t get much sleep because of it.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This is a common problem for a kitten taken away from his mother and litter mates too young. This is the way they play with their litter mates and learn how to sheathe their claws and control biting. Get a stuffed animal or kicker toy about his size and use that whenever you interact with him. Place it between his paws for him to kick and bite.

Never use hands or feet to play. Use wand type toys and throwing toys. And keep the kicker toys handy.

Lurcherlad and Jackie C like this.
  3. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

He is very young, and lorilou is right. He is just playing and learning and would normally be "attacking" his litter mates, and learning from his mum and siblings. He is just re-targeting his "aggression" and energy towards you, and there is no mallous in it. He is doing what is normal for a growing kitten, who is learning to pounce on prey. I'm glad you've looked into it, as you must never punish, he will not understand. Rewarding good behaviour is better.
    Lots of toys will help, and put up with the fact that he will attack you. :) He'll grow out of it if he's able to use his energy elsewhere.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice