Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten been sick

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mrsfarq, Nov 14, 2020.

1. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Morning all,

My husband fed the kittens this morning at 7am - 50g Feringa kitten which they’ve been having for a week.

Elroy, my fast eater, ate nearly all of his bowl and then about 15 minutes later (after chasing around after his brother) he was sick quite a few times. He seems fine in himself, he’s running and jumping around with his brother at the moment.

Does he need to see a vet today? Or do I need to just keep an eye on him? Should I feed him normally or should I feed him boiled chicken? We have a vets appointment on Monday anyway but didn’t know if I needed to do anything today.

Just to add he is 12 weeks.

firochka likes this.
  2. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

It’s probably he ate a bit to quick. Give him a half size meal spread across a larger plate to slow him down and see how he goes. How many meals are you feeding him a day?

3. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Thank you for responding, that’s what I thought too.

He has whiskas kitten (we are slowly transitioning off to other foods) spread out on a flat plate and eats that much slower but the Feringa he doesn’t normally bolt down. I’ll start putting that on a flat plate too. He’s been bolting his food down since we brought him home but he’s never been sick before.

They currently get 5 meals of 50g a day at 7am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm. Sometimes they eat it all and sometimes they don’t.

lorilu likes this.
  4. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Update - I fed him some whiskas at 10am, I spread it out on a plate like I normally do and gave him his normal amount but spread over 3 portions so he didn’t bolt it down at once and he hasn’t been sick again. He’s having a sleep now instead.

OrientalSlave, chillminx and lorilu like this.
  5. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

That’s a good sign, he was probably just extra hungry this morning as he is having a growth spurt.

lorilu likes this.
  6. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Do you think I should get an auto feeder to feed them during the night or can a 12 week old kitten go from 10pm to 7am? They have Feringa both last thing at night and first thing in the morning as it’s higher protein than whiskas.

Thank you for your help.

163398D1-86A7-49D4-985D-74F337745FDE.jpeg

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You could. Or just divide the morning long fast-break meal into smaller portions until he's older. Instead of 50 g give 25 and 25, half hour apart.

chillminx likes this.
  8. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Thank you. We’ll try that tomorrow :)

9. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

He’s eaten all his other meals today and not been sick so pretty sure he just ate too fast.

I think I’m much more of a worried kitten parent then I ever was when my children were babies!! They certainly keep you on your toes :)

lillytheunicorn and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice