Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten been neutered today but hates the collar

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mary70, May 4, 2010.

1. mary70

mary70 PetForums Newbie

my kitten has been neutered today but hates the collar, i took it off for a bit and she was bk to normal but within secons she was at the stiches any advice please

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

My three cats never wore a collar and were fine. They did look at the stitches, lick them a bit (she might actually be just cleaning herself as thats what it looked like to me). I think I'd take the collar off for short periods of time when you can watch her?

3. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Rosie hated the collar so much. She would walk round the house almost on her belly banging in to things. The vet said leave it on for 10days. After four days she was so miserable that I took it off. Having looked at the wound it seemed to be knitted together. As soon as I took it off she went straight for the stitches and spent ages cleaning herself and bitingthe stitches. Fortunately the skin had knitted together and all was fine. She was sooo much happier with the collar off. I have heard off cats ripping the stitches out and doing nasty things to themselves so I would maybe wait until you're sure the skin has knitted

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

You could try a t-shirt or something to cover the stitches rather than the collar

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I tried a tshirt once when Decker was spayed. Ummm well she went to go down the stairs and landed in a heap :eek: I have to say Decker has been the worse one yet for being spayed.

She kept trying to climb on high shelves and jump of them, I had to keep her in her carrier at night.

6. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

Kira never had a collar, she only had a tiny shaved bit as well as my vet went in underneath and not from the side. Sorry, not much help to you but I've always just thought it was a better way of doing it. My vet said it was kinder to them as well, makes the op a wee bit longer though...

7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

when mikki was speyed she kept getting her collar off but she left her stitches alone, but on the other hand my jack russell pup purdy had to have her tail amputated and was speyed at the same time she was traumatised by the buster collar so my vet got her a comfy collar and it looks like a spare tyre but she is happy with that collar and cannot get to her stitches

viv xx

8. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

My cat ripped a stitch out within two minutes of home and wouldn't leave the others alone so she had the collar on 24/7 for ten days, she found it more traumatic having put on and off, she took about 2 hours to get used to it and by the 2nd day although not happy she just kind of got on with it.

9. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Try googling derma pet wear, they on a cat post op suit, its not cheap but much better than a collar. It's what i'd use if we had girls done etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice