Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten awake at the crack of dawn!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kater_tot, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Kater_tot

Kater_tot PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a 12 week old kitten and I’ve just got her to sleep through the night BUT she still wakes up at 6:00AM to play!

Is there anyway to stop this or to get her to sleep in a bit longer? I’m soooo tired haha

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Feed her last thing at night, just before you go to bed. It might help but cats are dawn and dusk hunters so it's natural for her to be awake early in the morning.
    You could try keeping her out if your bedroom at night too but be prepared for her to be crying or scratching at the door.

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I've found that it is very difficult to "reset" a cat's internal clock ! If their tummy says it's breakfast time, then it's breakfast time no matter how early the hour :rolleyes: TBH 6am isn't too bad - I've had cats that insist that 4am is the ideal time (especially in Summer when it's lighter earlier !)

Maybe invest in a timed feeder to open about the time she wants to be fed ? The alternative is pull the duvet over your head and ignore her - she will eventually get the message ! Plus with winter coming on the darker mornings should have an effect !

Betty6691 and chillminx like this.
  4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'd just enjoy time whilst you have it. She won't be a kitten for long....

chillminx likes this.
  5. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

6am would be a dream come true! Mine gets me up at 3.30am every day, somehow Ive got used to it....
    :Hungover

chillminx and Betty6691 like this.
  6. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Yes, I agree, that's kittens for you - cats, too, now I come to think of it. A timed feeder might help. However, kittens like to play & she'll not long have been without siblings & a mummy cat so you are, I'm afraid, the substitute. I think you have to accept it & co-operate - perhaps she will just settle down & snuggle beside you if you pet her?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice