Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten anal sac issues

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by onca, Jan 31, 2020.

1. onca

onca PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

This is my first ever posting. I'm looking for advice as I'm at a loss.
    I have a 6 month old male kitten who has anal sac problems. He releases his anal sacs when he is sleeping/relaxed and it's a decent amount of clear fluid.
    I've been to my vet who has never seen this before in a cat.
    Could this be a food allergy?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

He's not neutered yet, I was feeding him RC kitten dry food but I stopped this (as I thought he might be allergic to this) and so for the last 2 weeks I've only been feeding him Animonda Carny poultry wet food.

#1 onca, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @onca and welcome :)

I haven't heard of anal sacs being released during sleep or relaxation, but it may be that if it happens with an adult cat they are quicker to clean themselves up so it is not noticed by the cat's owner.

As I expect you're aware, anal sacs should be emptied when the cat defecates, But for this to happen there needs to be the right amount of pressure in the rectum. Therefore the stools need to be firm not soft, and not hard, dry and thin.

If the fluid being released is a 'decent amount' it sounds as though the anal sacs are not emptying when he defecates. Did the vet find the anal sacs were full when he examined him?

How often does the kitten defecate? At his age twice a day would be usual. Since you changed his diet to Carny are his stools firm and formed into little sausages?

At 6 months he is sexually mature and so it would be advisable to neuter him before he develops habits such as spraying indoors. But I haven't read that problems with anal sac emptying are to do with hormones...

Involuntary release of liquid from the anus also sounds like constipation overflow. Has the kitten suffered from constipation at all?

onca and Calvine like this.
  3. onca

onca PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and also for the quick, detailed reply.

Yes it’s something that I can’t find much information about anywhere – seems quite unusual. I don’t think it’s a matter of not cleaning himself as it’s not a little patch he leaves after he’s sleeping- it’s a large egg-sized patch.

The vet checked the glands and said she didn’t think they were overly full – just normal amounts although he had already had one of his episodes a day earlier which may have meant that they were already emptied.

I would say he was slightly constipated on the dry food which was another reason behind the change to the wet food. Now he is going at least once a day if not twice a day.

I read somewhere that when this happens in dogs, a diet change may be necessary - maybe to a new protein source?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@onca, it is certainly worth trying a change in diet to see if it helps him.

All flavours of Animonda Carny contain beef and some contain chicken, so during the food trial I would avoid all foods that contain those two proteins. Most kitten foods contain one or the other but he will be fine on adult foods.

Alternative wet foods I can suggest are:

Feringa Meat Menu, pure duck or pure lamb.

Macs Mono Sensitive Lamb or Macs Mono Sensitive Turkey.

In a cat who has food sensitivities, feeding a variety of proteins and makes of food is the best way to avoid food allergies developing.

onca likes this.
  5. onca

onca PetForums Newbie

Thanks @chillminx , I'll try the suggestions.
    If I manage to get to the bottom of it, I will post back here in a couple of weeks.

chillminx likes this.
  6. onca

onca PetForums Newbie

Here is a mini update as promised. It's been about 2 weeks since I took him off the RC and any poultry based products. He has had no issues since. This is a big improvement already as he had gland issues a couple of times each week before. It's still early days but things look promising.

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Excellent news @onca. I hope things continue to go well. Thank you for the update :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice