Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten, advice needed as she wasn't classed as an emergency when I rang the vets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Roxanne Redman, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Roxanne Redman

Roxanne Redman PetForums Newbie

I have a 10month old spayed pure white girl, my little girls best friend, she was missing for over a week but returned home last Friday, she had a flea collar but came home without it, i noticed over the weekend she is breathing a bit funny, like a wheeze, I rang the vets and they weren't much help because of the pandemic, they told me to wait a couple of days and see how she is, I can't wait I'm worried sick, any advice would be gratefully received

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!

She probably got stuck somewhere with the collar and hurt her throat trying to break free. If she is behaving normally in every other way she’ll probably be alright, the soreness will heal. There’s not much you can do now that the vets only take emergencies. If it doesn’t get better, or even worse or you find her acting like she is in pain, not eating... then she is an emergency and you will be able to bring her in.

Flea collars aren’t a good idea in general. Cats do get stuck with collars, so if you do use one it must be easy opening with the cat’s weight. That means they lose the collars as fast as you can put them on if you have adventurous cats. Flea collars also mean that the cat carries a source of poison around their neck all the time.
    Flea collars are excellent for cutting them up and putting them in the hoover when your home is flea infested and you are trying to get rid of the beasts. But that’s the only thing I would use them for.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your cat will soon be completely herself again.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Roxanne Redman - is your cat eating and drinking as normal? Is she using her litter tray as normal? If so, I wouldn't worry at this stage, but see how she goes. It is possible as Chaoscat has said that her collar got caught on something and she hurt her throat trying to break free. Even the safety-release collars are sometimes hard for a cat to break open.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

Keep a watch out for eye/nose discharge. If either of these occurs - ring your vet and say you need antibiotics for a URI (upper respiratory infection). Don’t let the receptionist who answers the phone put you off.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Our vets are doing phone consultations at a reduced price, which means that vets who need to isolate can still work. If they decide the pet needs to be seen, they have some appointments available with social distancing measures.

I had a phone appointment yesterday (Macavity has an unhappy tummy which isn't getting better on bland food) and they posted some medicine out which should arrive this morning.

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

That is really good. Big relief for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice