Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten’s eye discharge from incision site

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jasmine2, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

image.jpg image.jpg My kitten was only few days old when he developed eye infection and his eye raptured. The vet had to remove his eye and put stitches. He was only few days old and drinking milk from his mummy. His mama used to get upset if I touched him or tried to keep him away from her. So I couldn’t keep them separate. After two weeks when the nurse checked she said his mamma cat had removed the stitches early and his eye has not sealed properly. Their was some space in between the upper and lower part. She said that when he’s older it will need to be restitched again. Now he’s 4 months old and likes fighting and playing a lot. He used to get a small discharge from his operated eye but from the last few days discharge has increased in quantity. Sometimes he scratches his eye area. Yesterday I saw small round hole red in colour in the eye and panicked. I came downstairs to tell my mom his eyes looking bad. But when my mother checked the area looked usual. I think when his hairs cover the area and the hole disappears. His eye area looks brown due to discharge. He seems fine otherwise. I was thinking that when I will get him neutered in two months time I will ask them to stitch the eye area again because I don’t want him to be sedated twice, I mean one time for the eye area to be stitched and the second time for neutering him. But I worry now as the discharge has increased and sometimes it looks really bad. I will post the pictures but what is your advice? I worry that his eye area might get infected. What should I do? In the picture the eye doesn’t look that bad but sometimes it looks really bad

Attached Files:

#1 jasmine2, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@jasmine2 - your kitten needs to be seen by a vet urgently and have his eye socket examined for a possible infection. You cannot possibly tell what is going on from looking at the outside. He should not have a discharge from the empty eye socket.

Please do not think of leaving this until he is neutered, he needs checking out now by a vet.

Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @chillminx your kitten needs to be seen by a vet ASAP , this cant wait .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. jasmine2

Ok thanks I’ve booked an appointment with the vet for friday as tomorrow gardeners are coming to cut and prune the trees. Reading your replies I’ve realised that it’s serious and he should be seen by the vets urgently. I’ve also talked with my uncle and he got panicked too. He said the kitten might get an infection and it could go to his brain. I’m so worried now that I want to take him to the vet tomorrow and I will try to leave the gardeners working and try to get appointment tomorrow for him. He’s so naughty and playful and now that I think about it I realise that he’s not as playful as before and sleeeps more. I thought it’s because he’s growing up but now I think it’s because of his eye problem.

#4 jasmine2, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm glad that you are having seen by a vet on Friday but, I apologise if this sounds harsh ..His eye socket problem is far more urgent than tree pruning , if you can make an appointment for tomorrow then do so.

chillminx likes this.
  6. jasmine2

Yes, I’ve already phoned the vet and made an appointment for tomorrow cancelling appointment for friday. The problem was that they were going to cut the tree in the garden As well as pruning other trees, and it’s just me and my mother. She’s disabled and can’t go in the garden to inspect or talk to them. I’m going to have a busy day tomorrow driving 8 miles to go to her house and than coming back to take the kitten to the vet. Then again I will drop the kitten home and travel 7-8 miles to her house as I will make the payment for their work. I will update what the vet says. Thank you for the replies.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

How did the vet visit go ?.

8. jasmine2

I took him and the vet had a look at his eye. He’s prescribed antibiotics and eye drops.i will write the name of the antibiotic tablet when I will put it in his food. I hope it’s ok to put it in his food as there’s no way I can make him eat it otherwise. The vet said he will need restitching of his eye lids.

One funny sort of incident happened yesterday which also got me worried
    Yesterday I took out his purple, fabric carrier out of the box room and cleaned it with fairy liquid solution as it was used previously when my cat had her neutering surgery. After it had dried I put new fleece seat which comes with these types of carriers inside but before putting it inside I checked to see if it’s clean or not. I had bought these new carriers for my cats and I had put the cardboard boxes in the grass outside to be thrown. Several hours later I realised that one fleece seat is missing and I went outside to have a look. One fleece seat was still inside the cardboard box and it was inside the plastic bag which was open from one side. I had used the same seat yesterday. When I was waiting in the vets car park I looked at the kitten and saw two spiders running inside his carrier. I immediately took a tissue and throw them out but I was worried if they had bitten my kitten or not. I think they came from the garden when I had accidentally thrown the fleece away. I’ve never had this type of problem before. I don’t see spiders inside the house or perhaps they were in the new fleece cover. Anyway I will write the name of the antibiotic it’s a new antibiotic which I haven’t used in my cats before. I become very nervous before giving any new medicine or antibiotic to my cats due to its side effects.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update.
    I was a bit confused about the eye drops that have been prescribed ? Did you not say that his eye had been removed.
    I hope the a/b's soon sort out the infection in his eye socket , did the vet say how long it might take for the infection to clear in the eye socket so that it can be re stitched.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice