Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kite - more than just leaking; it's cancer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Burrowzig, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

I’m sorry you had to part with your dearly beloved Kite and I know you will have many wonderful memories together.

2. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

So sorry for your loss.xx

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Kite. But how lovely that you were able to be with her. xx

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

So very sorry but pleased it was your own vet and you were able to be with her.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So sorry it happened so soon. You did the right thing by her as you know.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How you doing @Burrowzig, I hope you've got over the main shock of losing Kite so suddenly

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'm more sad than when my mum and sister died. Much more - though fair to say I didn't like either of them a lot. I just want Kite back. There's this torn emptiness that comes in waves. Though I know I'll be OK and let go, move on.
    And I'm so worried that Floss and Fly could have inherited whatever it was that caused it, some genetic propensity. Grandmother on the father's side was lost to cancer, too.

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Do you know whether it was the same kind of cancer? Not all cancers are hereditary, sarcomas for instance are just bad luck in humans, could be the same in dogs.
    My first Golden died in 1997 and I still think about her, took me ages to get over her.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I do understand, my eyes started leaking when I read your post. It's 3 years ago this week that Tango was so ill wth acute kidney falure and we nearly lost her then, only for her to recover and die 4 months later. She was such a special little dog as I know Kite was to you, we have some wonderful memories.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. jimmiles

jimmiles PetForums Newbie

So sorry!

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Don't know, but it's possible. The grandmother had lymphoma, and my vet said that's what Kite might have, but without biopsies it's impossible to tell. I couldn't afford them at the moment, and it seemed pointless doing something quite invasive when she was beyond surgery; vet was pretty sure from the scan that the spleen tumour was a hemangiosarcoma. We don't know what sort of tumour the kidney had turned into, it had just grown enormous, wasn't working properly (if at all) and the other one wasn't making too good a fist of taking over the work. So probably 2 different types of tumour, which could point to lymphoma. Vet didn't mention the state of the lymph nodes, if they had been significantly enlarged, I'm sure she would have said so.
    Other than a few days of diarrhoea at 18 weeks, Kite had never had a sick day, and was 10; not old enough to expect this. A couple of injuries not too long ago, and I put her reduced activity down to the strained shoulder in March and I know she had some arthritis in a couple of front toes - but she was still chasing balls until the vet said not to let her, she could rupture either tumour and bleed internally. And of course the vets were only seeing emergencies at the time she hurt the shoulder (front-end splits on mud, that one).
    A year or so ago I had a conversation with someone from the training club; new Flatcoat puppy. She'd lost her previous one to cancer and I asked if she was worried about her new one getting it. She said she knew it was likely, but that she's have 8 to 10 healthy years, then a quick decline and death. No old age problems of loss of hearing and sight, no dementia, no major joint problems of old age, no ending up stuck in corners because the dog couldn't remember how to reverse out or turn round. So I'm trying to think of losing Kite in those terms. Age shaill not weary her, nor the years condemn.

The plan for this year had been to get a puppy from Kite's breeder, and the same day I found out about the cancer, got an email from her saying they had a litter. Had a look but they are asking £1500 (pre-covid price £300 - £350) and I wouldn't pay that as a matter of principle even if I could afford it.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry.
    Shocked to find dear Kite has gone.
    Thinking of you.

Tattoo is a lovely idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice