Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kira may need to go back onto the dreaded kibble....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sid&kira, May 21, 2010.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

For a few weeks :frown:

With me being away I had no idea how much food Kira had left, and assumed Rick would tell me when she had a week or so left, so I could make the order and get it delivered... Nope... Tells me tonight she has about 3 meals left, which will cover tonight and tomorrow....

Thinking I had a week or so to get some, my money is spoken for already for college, and he is skint, his mum offered to lend him some money thankfully, so he's meeting me at P@H tomorrow after college.

We dont have time now to place the order and get it delivered before she's out of food, so we are probably going to buy a bag of the dreaded ki**le :( Im obviously going with him, because being a man he will get the 1st cheap bag he sees without reading the label :rolleyes:

She's also stopped eating her food recently... I dont know if maybe she's fed up of having it frozen, if there was something wrong with this batch, or if its because im not there?? Any ideas? :confused1: I dont think it has anything to do with the batch of food, because she refused fresh duck innards the other day apparently :eek6:

I feel like such a bad mummy... :( Not knowing when she needed food... and not being able to afford what I consider a good quality kibble... and If she is not eating because im not there :frown: :( :frown:

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up, these things happen from time to time for all sorts of reasons. When my neighbour died suddenly last year, I couldn't bring myself to walk to the pet shop about a mile and a half away to get Merlin's normal food (CSJ Lamb & Rice) as I'd regularly done every week for the last few years.

So I bought Butchers Tripe in a can from the supermarket. If I hadn't done that I would never have realised how much his usual kibble was making him itch & scratch, and how (weirdly) the canned stuff suited him better.

Look at it as an interesting opportunity to discover more about what your dog can and can't eat, and after all - a change is as good as a rest :)

It's not about affording - quite often the simpler foods are just as good, if not better.
    If it's just a matter of a few days then cooking pasta, potatoes, steamed veg, whatever you have in the cupboard (mine has had canned kidney beans for dinner in the past!) will NOT hurt unless your dog has a dietary intolerance. I always keep chicken and frozen veg in the freezer and canned chickpeas/beans and pasta in the cupboard, knowing I can cook up a storm for my dog in an emergency just from those few ingredients. They evolved as scavengers meaning they can - and will! - make do on almost anything, and as long as it's not for a long period, it will do NO harm.

#2 MerlinsMum, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I know i can cook for her if need be, well I cant, but rick can lol

Its just I've done so much research into nutrition now that I know whats harmful and what isnt, her energy levels are perfect and shes in great condition. I dont want to find out that all I can afford to get her is some shi**y cereal and additive filled kibble which is gunna send her loopy :( I swore once I put her on raw that she would never be fed kibble again, unless it met my high standards :eek:

The thing I feel worst about is the not eating... Im pretty sure its because Im away :frown: Bad mummy should never leave poor puppy :frown:

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Try not to worry. It's only a couple of days it won't do her any harm unless she has allergies to the food.

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

My two are half kibble half raw and are both super healthy, they even survived being on Pal (Good god, never again! -I had no money and was desperate :( ). I feed arden and grange and I will say honest to good, never had a problem being on it. The poops are tolerable, no farts, no dandruff and coat is very shiny plus they seem to enjoy it.

Wish we could feed raw 100% but can't afford it/get ahold of enough to keep them saitsified.

Another thing for lack on not eating, try mixing fish or mince something attractive to the kibble. Maya is hyper fussy and found its got her to eat (mostly).

Kira should be fine, she'll eat if she's hungry. Remember sibes and mals have been known to leave food, Maya once went 3 days before she decided to eat something properly (she'd pick and choose and then leave most of it).

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

There are quite a few low-priced kibbles that aren't rubbish... a big tip is look for working dog foods as these don't have VAT on them. Just because they are labelled as working foods doesn't mean they have too high protein levels either as some companies make lower protein working dog foods for dogs that are resting. And the best are also additive-free.

A lot of people use CSJ for collies and agility dogs - it's also very cheap. You can bet their food doesn't make dogs loopy - collies are loopy enough already :)
    I have heard that Skinners is also good.
    Have a scout around for working dog foods, and ask for samples. Yes, some of them do have cereals but so does Burns which is highly rated but very expensive! More companies are doing cereal-free foods now such as salmon and potato, and the CSJ Lamb & Rice which Merlin had for a long time and which did suit him for years.

You can always do a split diet, some raw and some kibble. Dogs are so adaptable, I am sure you will find something!

7. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

If you are going to be in P@H anyway then take a look at their own brand silver food or Wainwrights. Both are relatively cheap without compromising on quality of ingredients, certainly a better alternative to the kibbles you are worried about.

If she isn't eating while your not there it may just be the change of routine that has knocked her a little off balance and I'm sure she will be back to normal in no time. Otherwise something really pongy added to the kibble such as a sprinkle of grated cheese or some mackerel fillets should spark her interest.

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

If you really don't want kibble, you could always get some trays of Naturediet or Natures Menu. 70% meat, with just a tiny bit of rice and veg and vitamins. This would be a compromise to your raw feeding perhaps.

9. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Ill be back home by the end of the month, which im really looking forward too, and hopefully it is just the change in routine, and she'll be back to normal once im home

Am gunna have a look at the skinners and the CSJ, she was on P@H own brand before raw and refused it a lot, which why why I made the change.

On a good note... The talk from purina is today so im gunna have some fun :thumbup: :lol:

10. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I had a look at naturediet... But it will work out twice as expensive as feeding the raw diet she's normally on

11. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

How about natures menu frozen blocks? You can get those at p@h

12. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

If I cant find a half decent kibble then I will, but if I can find one then it will last twice as long as the mince will for the same money

I figure if she's skipping meals then we might as well do it cheaply this month, her refusing kibble is the reason we made the change.

I think refusing may be down to the heat aswell

13. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

have fun with purina!!! i know i would....... do they feed they're kids maccy d's??? is that why they think it's ok for us to feed our babies on bakers etc.

also i wonder what they feed their own dogs

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I have warned my tutor that I may make him/her cry...

I have some questions written down that im gunna ask them :thumbup:

15. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i love you alread!!! give then hell, do there kids eat meat dirivetivets???

i bet not

16. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Lol these are my Q's

1. Why do you feel the need to feed cereals as a main ingredient to carnivorous animals?

2. Why is real meat rarely used in your products? Why are meat and animal derivatives used instead?

3. All of your dog foods contain EC additives. Why do you use EC additives when they are linked to cancer in dogs?

4. Why do you add vitamins and minerals to your foods? Is it because the ingredients are too poor a quality to provide all the necessary nutrients, or because ingredients which dogs need, such as real meat, are not used?

5. How do you name the products? For example, Beta Chicken and Rice, is only 8% of the ingredients stated (chicken and rice), would it not be more truthful to name it Beta Cereal and Derivatives.

6. How can you justify how much you charge for what is basically cornflakes and chicken feet?

17. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i love it. as for there meaty chunks hahaha

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Have fun with the purina rep. A pedigree rep tried to convince me that dogs didn't need much meat as they were domesticated and their bodies had adapted to eating mostly cereals once :eek:. Also gave me the usual crap about raw diets making dogs aggressive. I had fun with him but he still left swearing his dog was perfectly healthy on pedigree

19. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Lol we're gunna video it... will post a link to it once its on YT :lol:

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Can't wait to see it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice