UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Do You Or Have You Let Your Kids Play Out?

• Yes

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.0%
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I don't have children, but if I did I doubt I'd let them play outside unless it was in the garden or supervised.

I used to play out all the time from when I was about 7, but times are different now than they were 30 years ago.

We live in a quiet cul de sac, in a nice neighbourhood.... But that said, it surprises me when some of our neighbours let their children go out to play unsupervised, the youngest 2 are 5 :eek:

You'd think that everything that has happened this week with April, it would make parents think again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
times are different now than they were 30 years ago.
Not really the times though is it? There was most likely as many child abusers in those days as there are now, its just the media/social network is huge nowadays and we get to hear about everything that happens in the UK within minutes of it becoming public knowledge...

·
Registered
716 Posts
i dont have children - but as a child i was always playing out - were i live now we used to ride our bikes etc wen we were younger before 12 we would only be allowed on the street while dad was washing the car but as we got older we could go down to the woods on our bikes as ong as we wernt on our own - me n my twin used to go together.

and wen i was younger before ten in port eynon, we would be allowed out to the beach as it was not even one min walk from the cottage we would go after dinner and there be a big group of us kids but there was always at least one adult there in the vincinity and then our parents would come get us wen it was time for bed.
wen i have children - depend were im living but i would like to give my kids some freedom themselves but it would be supervised - but i dont want a child who is stuck to a computer or games console rather for them to have some experiences i did - being on a beach , crabbing, fishing , swimming , surfing. riding horses and jusst generally being a healthy and active child

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Yep, we allowed our boys out to play, from about 8 or 9 they were allowed out unsupervised, never out for long and never far away, they much preferred playing out close to home and we could watch them.

I've studied playwork and play and the detrimental effect the lack of outdoor play can have on a childs development and also studied the risks. A child is more likely to be a abused by someone who they trust inside their houses than someone outside. Abuse is more likely to come from someone they know, than a stranger.... This is portrayed in the media, think about how many abuse cases have been reported and think about how the perpetrator ( Victoria Climbie, Baby P, the Soham Girls, Shannon Matthews to name but a few ) Is known to the victims. Now think about how many abductions/abuse gets reported and the perp is someone who isn't known? Maddie? Maybe, or does that not count because we have no leads or no clue to what happened? Sarah Payne?

See what I mean?

There is no more abuse or abductions happening now than there was then, the Jimmy Saville thing has just highlighted that to a whole new level. Along with institutions, boarding schools and places like Haute de la garenne..... And we are all waiting to see what else is going to come out of the woodwork.

In the future maybe things from our time now will come out, but that shouldn't make us fearful or over protective of our children. Armed with knowledge we need to work out how you can help your children explore their environment in a safe and controlled way, without hindering their development.

Oops, seem to have gone off on one lol :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say out Jon, do you mean beyond the boundaries of the garden, i.e. street?
Sorry, probably kept it a bit too brief with it being a poll...

I think in general just 'out', be it in the garden or on the street but in response to harley bears posts in the other thread about never, ever letting your kids out of your sight...just them playing whilst unattended really if you get my drift...
:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wasn't allowed out to play with friends outside until I was around 8 years old. Even then, I had to be in a back garden with them or if I was at the park, supervised. When I was a little older (about 10 or 11) I used to play with a group of about 10 kids and we all lived in the same area. This wasn't generally supervised but we always kept together and we never went that far from our local area. :)

I don't have kids but if I did, I wouldn't let them play unsupervised until they were about 10 or 11 years old (and even then they'd have to be with friends). Any age under that and I'd want to supervise them.

Edit - To add, I think it's good that kids get some sort of freedom and can learn about independence, however I think limits should be set by parents.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Sorry, probably kept it a bit too brief with it being a poll...

I think in general just 'out', be it in the garden or on the street but in response to harley bears posts in the other thread about never, ever letting your kids out of your sight...just them playing whilst unattended really if you get my drift...
:)
In that case then my answer would be yes, I have let my children play outside. Probably with periods of being alone for a minute or 2 whilst I popped in to make a drink or take laundry in, but never on the street below the age of 11-12.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I did let mine play out - my youngest is 16.

I was lucky in that I've been able to bring my kids up in a cul-de-sac with a green to play on - all the kids played out together - lots of water pistol fights, dressing up games and races on their scooters etc.

They never went beyond the end of the close though, until they were over 10 and only then if there was a group of 3 or more to look out for each other, I knew where they were and they checked in at set times an were in at the time I said if they were late than they didn't get to go out the next time.

As teenagers they have a lot of freedom - they haven't abused it yet ;)

I was more worried about traffic and older kids bullying or daring them to do something stupid than I was of any weirdos.

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
I wouldnt let a 5 year old play out in the garden unsupervised.....let alone the street. If I found out that the kids at our primary school were in the playground...unsupervised by a responsible adult....Id kick up merry hell....so do not understand people letting kids of primary school age play in the streets....a 5...6....7...year old is not capable of making quick safe decisions....or aware of potentially hazardous dangers.....etc. I have always taken my kids out to parks...forest walks....petting farms....etc...or theyve gone to friends to play or we had kids over to ours......the street is full of dangers and...unfortunately...some very evil people:mad:

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I wouldnt let a 5 year old play out in the garden unsupervised.....let alone the street. If I found out that the kids at our primary school were in the playground...unsupervised by a responsible adult....Id kick up merry hell....so do not understand people letting kids of primary school age play in the streets....a 5...6....7...year old is not capable of making quick safe decisions....or aware of potentially hazardous dangers.....etc. I have always taken my kids out to parks...forest walks....petting farms....etc...or theyve gone to friends to play or we had kids over to ours......the street is full of dangers and...unfortunately...some very evil people:mad:
My kids got to do all that as well with me - I often had the neighbours kids come along to trips to the parks etc My house and garden has always been full of other peoples kids - but I was in the very lucky position of living in a cul-de-sac so a dead end street, no traffic, a safe green to play on and all the houses looked in on the green, any kid cried and a dozen parents would be on the scene in seconds as we were all watching from our kitchens etc.
I know I was very lucky to be able to raise my kids with a sense of independence and I enjoyed watching them be able to play out just as I had been lucky enough to as a child.
I know not everyone lives in such an ideal setting and I'd never of let my kids out if I'd lived anywhere else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the street is full of dangers and...unfortunately...some very evil people:mad:
Full of dangers yes, this is why we teach our kids road safety etc...but to believe that a paedo is hiding behind every wheeliebin???

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Full of dangers yes, this is why we teach our kids road safety etc...but to believe that a paedo is hiding behind every wheeliebin???
Sadly the 24hr news we have now seems to make people believe this - the sad fact is I don't know anyone who was abused by someone they didn't know - only by family members, group leaders or neighbours :mad:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I have to be honest, mine were restricted to the garden as youngsters because of the dangers of the road and like someone else has said, bullies....I never kept them confined because I was afraid of child abusers. We are in danger of becoming extremely paranoid otherwise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly the 24hr news we have now seems to make people believe this - the sad fact is I don't know anyone who was abused by someone they didn't know - only by family members, group leaders or neighbours :mad:
My point exactly...in theory this means that having them playing out nowhere near home must be the safest place!!!

·
Banned
353 Posts
I haven't got any, and won't have until I have a big enough house, with a secure garden in the right area. They won't be running around the streets at all, but I will be allowing them to play in the fields, or on the lanes/other gardens etc with their friends at an appropriate age. Then again, I'll also have them 'GPSd' so I won't lose them. And I'll be able to convince them that I have freaky magic powers and know everything.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
my son is 8, he's allowed to play out, we live in a tiny close off the road through the village and as long as he is with friends he can go out. recently (in the last month or so) he's allowed to walk up to his friends that live less than a minute up the road, but i watch him go and give him a strict time when to be back. he adheres to this but took 3 lots of grounding to get the message.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
A lot of it depends on the area..in my last house it was a terrace with no garden and on a very busy main road, so she would not have been allowed out to play there..we then moved and as the years have gone on I have given her limits as to where she can and cannot go, she is now ten and is allowed to go pretty much anywhere on the estate, but still not allowed to cross the original road I mentioned .
Its a sad day if children are not allowed to be children . they are the best memories I have.

i remember the first time a few years she went to knock on a friend, I followed her, hiding behind cars so she didn't see me. ..:lol:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.