Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kids hanging outside your house

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jessiegirl, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

how does it make you feel?

last night as i just got into bed a group of kids (about 16) were hanging about outside my house. i think they were something to do with the girl opposite.

i heard them 1st as i was in bed and i thought please go away pleaase move on!!! cos i get really anxious when kids are about :( i thought just close my eyes and they'll soon go away. they were there for about 20 mins , i didnt wanna get up and peek out the window but i did . they were right by my car!!! i thought ,they better not touch my car!! :(

i went downstairs and put the living room light on haha i dunno why, and i left it on all night (i live alone)

in the end they didnt do anything thank god. im new to this area and not had any problems like that yet.

but i get really paranoid with stuff like this:(....i get extremley anxious....i think kids have only got themselves to blame really these days when ppl are suspitious of them getting up to mischeif.

when i lived in another place....some kid tried breaking into the car i had before ,luckily the alarm went off and he ran away......

i didnt sleep very well and had bad dreams about yobs and anti soical behaviour:(

thing is though- what can you do?? nothing. ok so it was all innocent and fair enough. in a situation like this and they did get up to mischeif and cause some damage ,what do you do , call the police? go out yourself and tell them to get lost?? i just think that will be putting fuel in the fire so to speak, will only p iss them off more.:rolleyes::

im sure its not like that round here touch wood. And i swear i must have ephebiphobia =/

sorry for rambling on just wanted to get it off my chest

2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

i dont have that problem were we live its very quiet but i can understand how it would be un nerving expecially because you live on your own hopefully it was just a one of im hopeless at giving advice but didnt want to read an run :)

3. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

Youth crime hasn't actually risen since 2001.

Unfortunately there is the stereotype that all young people will commit crime, but it's only a very small percentage that do.

I don't disagree though that it is unnerving when they hang out outside your house or whatever.

It's the 'chav' type of youth too. Their 'style' is to be 'hard' and part of that is daring each other to do criminal acts (and play **** music apparently).

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

doubt they would do much to be honest they tend to be all mouth but there again depends what part of weston you live in as some bits are much rougher than the others

but then if you live on the esate they are normaly ok with you they dont **** on there door step so to speak

5. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

We have this problem constantly! Sometimes i pray for rain lol The street where we like there are teens and young kids living in these houses and i swear they attract loads and loads of kids. About 15 kids between say 16-19 and about 9 younger kids. I actually said to someone the otherday that at their age they should be out bloody working instead of hanging around peoples houses and playing football! They walk all over our garden throw rubbish on our garden and outside our house etc etc etc and the other day i had my car cleaned couple of days later one of the back windows are smeared in god knows what! :(

The problem is these days is they are brought up with very little respect for anyone or anything!

The government need to get their act together and make sure these brats are forced to stay in education if they have no job after they finish school or not get any jsa until they are at least 21!

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm a bit paranoid where we live because there is an estate round the back of our road, up and round another one. Its right next to a park and a few years ago apparently the police were always down our road for trouble from them. They used to egg houses, nick hubcaps and boot footballs at windows. Its not meant to be a regular problem now but you still get them passing through some worse than others.

We're getting gates at some point on the driveway behind my car just because a lot of teenagers are forever playing football in the road using driveways as goalposts and then losing the football and running off down the side of the house to get it. Its private property and if it was an accident it'd be different but they are aiming for the driveways etc.

If I knew most of them were lovely kids I doubt I'd care so much, but sadly a lot of them have a reputation round here.

Just got to grin and bear it maybe you try getting some gates or something if you can to block your driveway, people round here seem less inclined with gated ones. I'm sure some wouldn't dream of doing any harm but its difficult to have a decent opinion when their idea of fun is kicking footballs into gardens/at cars and walking dogs in the road with no lead :rolleyes::

7. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I have little shits round my house all the time when school is in session, except these are college students that repeatedly break in and damage my car so I am happy for the holidays where they aren't there!

8. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Its an everyday occurance for me, especially at the moment, are schools out this week?

Next door have SIX kids who like to play in the street with their friends, their favourite game is playing football on my private parking area directly outside my living room :rolleyes: The managed to kick the football into my Sky dish and break it a few days ago which their dad had to fix (and he was very pi$$ed off he had to be dragged away from the football to do it, yelled at the kids most of the night!!! :lol: ). They have been better since then, but when I came home earlier and parked my car (i like to drive fast onto the drive and scatter them, its fun :D ) I told them that if they break the dish again, or my windows, never mind reporting them to their dad, i'd report them to the police for criminal damage (is that even a real crime?lol) and they would go to JAIL :lol: They're only about 10! They scarpered pretty quick after that and havent returned yet :D

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I think hawksport is right, if you're always polite to them and make a point of speaking to them when it's appropriate then they really do tend to have the same respect back.

I live on my own too but I feel a lot better knowing I get on with the kids. :lol: I'm only 26, I sound about 70 :lol:

Hope it gets easier for you and you have a better night

Em
    xx

#9 Eroswoof, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  10. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

We have this all the time too :( We live in a little square on an estate, next door have 5 kids and all their friends come over as well. We live very close to the road and they use the road like their own private playground, leaving skateboards and ramps all over the place.

The kids in general are fine, it's just the noise they make that does my head in :mad: We've only ever had a small spate of criminial damage incidences occur and that was a couple of years back when we had a very rough family live in our area.

I look forward to the day I can move :rolleyes::

11. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

I dont get anything like that here i live in a quiet-cul-de-sac with all older couples, we are the only family in the cul-de-sac. :D:D

But if they are outside on the street there is not a lot you can do there is no law to say that they have to move on as it is a public place.

If they however came in my garden etc then i would be opening the door and telling them to do one!!! :D:D

12. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I moved onto an estate a while back...I made a point of talking to some of the lads that were hanging round the first week and get no hassle at all.
    I couldn't tell you what we talked about,but they looked at me with respect afterwards.They forget us oldies were young ourselves once.:rolleyes:

13. Jocatza

Jocatza PetForums Junior

We live on a corner and on the whole the children around here are very considerate. However we had a period when some teenagers were using our corner as a late night meeting area, Up to a dozen of them would congregate and generally cause a nuisance of themselves. They weren't causing any damage but their loud music and shouting to be heard over it was keeping all the people in the houses nearby awake.

We tried reasoning with them and although they would disperse quite good naturedly they would be back the following night.

I had a brainstorm and decided to make the corner less attractive.

[​IMG] Have you ever noticed how much Chicken Pellet Fertiliser stink when they gets damp? A quick spray of water on some well placed pellets before I went to bed primed them to give off the maximum aroma.

The teenagers stuck it out on the corner for about 10 minutes tops before moving away the first night. It took about a week of me topping up the pile of pellets and sneaking out to water them to break them of their unsociable habit but we haven't been kept awake for some time now.

The only downside is the verdant weeds that I seem to have growing under my hedge. :D

[​IMG]

14. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

around here if you give them respect they see it as a weakness,and seeing as the chav type preys on the weaker because he's to much of a puss to fight someone stronger thats asking for trouble

15. jessiegirl

thanks for replies :)

yeah i would like to build a driveway. it would mean knocking down a 2 foot wall ,then gravelling it and also lowering the kerb....which i guess the council would have to do? can they refuse??

how much you think it would all cost??

16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

If it's a council house you need permission...and they may charge you for the dropped kerb.
    One of the jobbing builders round here charges £350 for a dropped kerb.

17. ClaireLouise

stink bombs would make them move :D

I must agree that if you are ok with them they will be ok with you. All kids arent bad

18. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

I've recently had to move back to a house i own in a not very nice area. Some kids there have completely wrecked my garden, threw stuff at my windows and they have cracked, and generally cause trouble. When ever I say anything I get a mouthful of abuse from the parents. One of the kids that broke my window was 2! egged on by his mam. I cant wait to get out but unfortnately finances are not on my side at the moment. They even climb over my back garden wall to get in. We have had bricks thrown at us too

think i may have to get myself something smelly to spray on the garden :D

19. jessiegirl

lol ^ get 2 very noisey alsation dogs!!!! and keep them in the garden that'll keep them away! like i saw round here the other day

20. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

My friends in a council property and is needing a dropped kerb as commuters keep parking outside her house and there is very limited parking (she lives station road on a main london to portsmouth station)

Shes had to gain written permission, get a scaled and detailed drawing done (graphic drawing I think she said?) and it will cost up to #1000 for council to do :blink: not sure if shes rounded it up or not. infact ill go google it....

EDIT http://www.waverley.gov.uk/downloads/file/236/dropped_kerb_scheme_for_council_tenants looking at their web site its #1030!! eeeh heck!!

#20 sarybeagle, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice