Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kidney Disease

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by tshepherd, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tshepherd

tshepherd PetForums Newbie

Hello

Can anyone give me some advice on canine kidney disease?

I have a 1 year old Golden Retriever who in January was diagnosed and has since been on a course of steroids and Synulox antibiotics. The vet informed me that to prevent infection she may be on a long term course of Synulox. Just wondering if this is the normal thing to do?

Not only is extremely expensive, I always thought that after a period of time the body becomes used to antibiotics and therefore they stop doing their job? Just wonder sometimes if vets know you have insurance and think they can charge whatever they want. The last two months she has gone back to have a check up and it has cost £250 each time with antibiotics, steriods and urine samples (on top of previous £3000 worth of tests, biopsy etc).

This is a monthly amount that I simply can not afford, particularly if she becomes immune to the antibiotics.

I would be most grateful if someone could give me some advice.

Many thanks

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Sorry can't help but I don know when I had kidney stones removed some years ago I was on an antibiotic called Kelfazine W - it was a once weekly tablet that I had to take for around four months, so maybe it's a safe guard to prevent infection.

Ask your vet why she's having antibiotics and if there is any infection present at the mo. I'm sure she'll explain why she thinks your dog needs it but I do know how expensive the tabs are. I think Newfiesmum on here gets a prescription from her vet then gets the meds on line (not Synulox though) - she says they are half the price. May be worth searching on line for the tabs but you have to get them from a recommended source in case they're not what they say they are. But you will need a prescription from your vet in order to get them.

#2 Malmum, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

No advice, I'm just sorry your dog isn't well. :(

4. JohnM

JohnM PetForums Junior

Cannot give you any advice I'm afraid,..but I'm interested to know what the initial symptoms were..?

Good Luck.......I know from personal experience that the expenses can increase quickly, .....

Regards

John

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Having just lost my lovely girl to kidney problems, ask your vet to scan her for struvite crystals, my girl was thought to have cystitus and was treated with anti-biotics although only short term - the vets were stunned when they did eventually scan her although too late on :( but she had struvite crystals and these blocked up the tube to the kidney.

I hope this will help you, but insist on having her scanned - tell them of my story if you wish as my vets were all really amazed at the fact that they had missed this ;)

Good luck, please let me know how you get on with her

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

With My Ozzy his first sympoms were excessive drinking and urination..also his breath was very smelly

Good Luck, i have sent you a p.m with some info on that i have copied from elsewhere

juliex

7. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Has the vet told you exactly what kidney problems? There can be many with obviously different ways of tackling them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice