Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kidney disease- how long??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Saluki, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Hello, our lovely dog has sadly been diagnosed with kidney disease, he was found to have extreme levels of bilirubin in his urine, thickened blood, phosphorous levels of 79. His symptoms are massive amounts of urine and vomiting. So far he’s on low protein diet and phosphorous binder. First 2 weeks he perked up massively but today seems to have gone downhill again. However my point is our vet won’t give us any idea of what stage he’s at or even a vague idea of how long. He just gives me a pained expression and shrugs? I know nothing is definite but we’ve just been told a few days or a few years and now every day he seems a bit off or sleepy etc I’m panicking it’s the end. Thanks if you got to the end

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

So sorry, but I'm afraid I can't help
    You know if your friend is suffering and know that he's not going to get better. A day too soon is better than a day too late

Cain&Rosie, Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  3. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Oh I definitely won’t let him suffer and I did view at as a blessing we’d been given a heads up but the downside is now everyday he has an off day we’re terrified it’s the end x

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Can you obtain readouts of your dog blood results? The levels of BUN and creatinine and urine specific gravity will give an indication of which stage your dog is at, and it's something you can Google yourself. It's quite possible to keep levels steady, or even lower them but I think the more advanced the stage, the more difficult that becomes to do.

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  5. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

That’s a really good idea actually thank you, I did specifically ask for the stage but he was very reluctant to discuss, so all I know is bilirubin, phosphorous and really high enzyme levels. Thank you

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hmm, that’s not very helpful.

I’d get a printout as suggested and try to get some idea yourself so you can feel a bit more informed for decision making going forward.

7. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Ok so BUN is 10.2
    Urine specific gravity 1.022
    Creatinine 104
    Alt 79
    So going to try and figure those out now
    Thank you for helping

8. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

If anybody has the link in order to figure those numbers out that would be great as I’m struggling in all honesty, thanks

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

10. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

He will be 2 in November so still very young, he has suspected ectopic urethra and kidney disease. We’ve been told basically to enjoy and nothing apart from special food and supplements to delay the inevitable. But won’t give us any indication on years or months left

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear your news is it worth changing vets to see if you can get more helpful information?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Scroll down to the pocket guide link:

http://www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines/staging.html

My vet was quite reluctant to categorise my dog into a particular stage so I obtained her results and did it myself. I discovered she was stage 2 so still quite mild and manageable with diet etc. There are groups on FB who help you to understand the results.

Edited to add that regular blood and urine tests every 6 months will help you keep track of how things are progressing. When it gets to the stage where the dog really is quite poorly e.g not eating, being sick, even needing IV fluids then it's fairly advanced and at that stage many people forget the strict diet and give the dog anything to tempt it to eat. Baby food was a common one.

#12 Leanne77, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

To be honest I’m still struggling to work it out, it appears as one kidney is hyper something ( swollen from toxins) and the other is a lot smaller ( puppy size) and either one or both has an ectopic urethra. The bun was slightly raised, creatinine 104 (normal) urine specific gravity 1.022 so top end of normal and phosphorous/alt 79. From what I gather they suspect hereditary and no idea how long it’s been an issue or what’s his normal so apparently that’s why they won’t give me any idea. We’ve been told to limit protein and use phosphorous binder but surgery pointless as both are damaged. I still believe they could give us a better indication but I’m not getting anywhere, and I don’t really understand the results enough to work it out myself. We’ve been given food and supplement advice and just told to bring him back when his kidneys begin to fail and pts but I’ve pushed for a repeat of blood/urine after a month to see what levels are and then go from there.

14. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

My last toy poodle Pepe the slightly smaller one in the photo had kidney disease and had to have his blood pressure taken fairly regularly and was prescribed blood pressure tablets. I fed him at first on renal food but when he wouldn’t eat that I gave him his ordinary wet dog food with a phosphate binder ipakitine which is a powder sprinkled on the food. We then moved on to home cooked food as his appetite got worse anything to get him to eat and also a liquid phosphate binder called Pronefra that I could give by a syringe directly into his mouth after he had eaten so I knew it wouldn’t spoil the taste of his food. He was diagnosed with kidney disease in January 2018 and we lost him 10 months later in November 2018. I think his kidneys were damaged by being on steroids for 10 months the previous year 2017 which were used to treat severe anaemia.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

From what you are saying about the vet I would imagine he is thinking that your poor dog will need to be put to sleep sooner rather than later but does not want to commit to a time scale as that is impossible. I think you need to assess for yourself and when you feel he is not well and not enjoying life then make the sad decision. You know it is going to have to happen so as someone else said a day too soon is better - and that does not literally mean a day, it means when the dog is obviously not going to make a recovery and is not happy in themselves as against leaving it till they are actually ill and suffering. I feel for you, it is a horrible decision to make with any dog but far worse with a young dog.

Just wanted to add it is so variable. I had one with acute kidney failure who was virtually out of it and put to sleep within 24 hours. That was an easy decision.

#15 Blitz, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    SusieRainbow likes this.
  16. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

I too think it won’t be long as I’ve discussed all the various possibilities and each one has been met with ‘we can if you really want too, but we feel it’s pointless’ he’s currently on pronefra, a general kidney herbal supplement and homemade consisting of tripe and veg/fruit. I am still giving him his bedtime treats they’re small and we originally cut them out and he was quite upset not getting his ‘nite nite biccy’. I personally think 1/2 years at Best. He definitely won’t be left too long so just trying to enjoy him as much as possible but as you say it’s hard as he’s still a baby really. Thank you for your support x

17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

It sounds like your dog is suffering something more than just simple kidney disease i.e not quite functioning as they should, if one is enlarged and another smaller.

Hopefully you'll have as long with him as possible, he's so young still ☹

18. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

19. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Yes both kidneys seem to be effected one is puppy size and one is oversized and the ectopic urethra but they couldn’t make out what was going where on scans/X-ray. We’ve long suspected he’s highly likely inbred as we managed to trace where he came from. Sadly a few of the pups they’ve bred have died very young and of anaemia and renal type issues. He’s considerably smaller than his litter mates, and considerable overbite, dietary intolerances so sadly not the healthiest of pups. But we’re glad he’s had a shot at a normal life unlike the poor dogs who are still stuck in his original home x

20. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Sad update.. as some of you may remember I posted a few months ago. We’ve made the decision to let max go, he’s booked in for a few days time.
    We’ve got to a point where we feel his quality of life is just not good enough anymore, walks are now terrifying, leftovers are now not worth stealing and my happy bouncy pain in the bum boy is generally fed up and sad, too scared to sleep alone and so we have decided to let him go before it becomes unbearable. He’s only just had his second birthday and seems so unfair still.
    Thank you to all of you who helped with advice and best wishes
    Stay safe and take care

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice