Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kidney cancer in my english bull terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sweetpea1238, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sweetpea1238

sweetpea1238 PetForums Junior

we have english bull terrier.Everyone loves her.Gentle.fit.hyper.daft as a brush.
    She has recently,in the last 2 wks lost weight,been sick. belly is rock hard and we felt a lump.diarrhea.Sleepy.we put her on rice n chicken incase she had a bug but even though she ate it-she was either sick or had diarrhea.
    7 wks ago had a large lump removed from leg-turned out benign.Stitches split open same day- had another anaesthetic & repeated procedure on leg. I asked for a blood test at the time to make sure there was nothing else causing all these lumps.I do realise white dogs r proned to them & she wasnt herself.Vet said she didnt need one.This weekend gone- we got more concerened with weight loss. we asked a gp/doctor-friend of family-his daughter training to be a vet for advice-we took a urine sample,he tested it for us and he was certain it was kidney cancer, also had blood in it and she does in her poo! he gave us antibiotics anyway. My husband was distraught,we both were but i needed to hear it from the vet.Monday i took her
    to vet ,they said a urine sample alone would not confirm kidney cancer-could be gall stones/diabetes. we are still awaiting results. I She said antibiotics doctor gave us was fine to use.
    im being alot more positive and stronger than my husband even though she looks ill she still has appetite but is sick or has diarrhea shortly after. Also she is drinking plenty of water. i just needed to get this of my chest.
    look forWARD TO HEARING FROM ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES\VIEWS.
    Thanks guys xxxx:(:(

2. rona

rona Guest

I really hope this works out for you, and they don't find any sign of cancer

3. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

Really hope your dog is ok and whatever is up can be fixed xx
    I can't offer any advice on her illness but for what it's worth, if you can feed her a teaspoon of honey in water two or three times a day it will keep her energy up as the sugar is absorbed easily, and before it reaches the stomach. So whatever is making her sick, she'll still benefit from it. I've nursed puppies using this method through parvovirus where they have to starve the virus out for around 10 days so won't willingly eat or drink - it might give her a bit of extra fight while the vets are faffing around making you wait for the tests :( Sorry can't be more help xx

4. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

sorry that your dog is unwell, hope you get results soon and that it isnt cancer and something that can easily be treated. Thinking of you.

5. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I really hope you get the results you are praying for x

6. bucksmum

Is there any news on your girl,how is she today?

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh im so sorry :(i really hope its nothing serious x

8. sweetpea1238

hi guys
    I thought i sent reply yesterday so this message may be repeated somewhere.i am a nightmare with computers.!
    Our Tess does has kidney cancer and we are both very heartbroken.Vet did mention surgery but it wasnt advised,you can see her tumor when she is lay down but she isnt in any pain-today she has been ok-had a kick around with football and had some jaffa cakes-i know dogs shouldnt have chocolate but she can have whatever she wants now.She hasnt been sick so far today but her weight is dropping dramatically. She also did some coughing whilst she was asleep next to me.
    She still on antibiotics to avoid any infections, and we will be taking her to the beach over the wkend as she loves the sea.
    Thanks for your heartwarming messages.Its good to talk.
    sweetpA1238 :wink5:

9. bucksmum

I am truly sorry to hear your news x if it helps at all can i just tell you that i lost my terrier bitch to kidney cancer in december and of all the dogs i've lost her ending was the most peaceful.She just drifted in and out of sleep towards the end and we had an afternoon on a duvet in front of the woodburner saying goodbye.I was totally at peace with her going as she seemed so relaxed.I hope it's the same for your lovely girl x take care x

10. sweetpea1238

hello
    Im so glad your lovely terrier didnt feel anything and went peacefully-still must have been hard for you. Tess also enjoys sitting in front of the fire and hope her happy life will end naturally.
    Hope you dont mind me asking- did your dog have any physical pain? Tess had developed a cough whilst she sleeps.I keep thinking shes back to normal as she has kept her food down for a day and a half and been a bit brighter in herself. She is on antibiotics so that may be why.Can i ask for curiosity- before your terrier bitch was diagnosed-did she have any joint pains or lumps in her skin?
    Thanks for your lovely message and will let you know how we go on.
    sweetpea1238

11. sweetpea1238

hay- what a good idea- i will try that as of today as she is drinking alot of water anyway. Thanks so much for your help.I let yo know how she goes on.
    Regards
    sweetpea1238:)

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh dear i am truly sorry to hear this:(, fingers crossed she continues to have a good quality of life xx

13. bucksmum

I don't mind you asking at all x i wouldn't have said she was in physical pain as she was so relaxed but she was very sleepy.I don't remember any lumps in her skin but yes she did have joint pain which she had accupuncture for.She also had a slight cough well more of a gagging sound really,but nothing worse than that.Towards the end the vet told me that as the kidneys fail and toxins build up in the body she will feel naseuos and 'flu like' but not in pain.
    Hope this gives you some comfort x

14. sweetpea1238

hi again
    Bucksmum Im so glad you can share your experience as Tess does have a cough and today she was doin like a gagging cough as if something was stuck in her throat. Vets gave us 3 types of medication £40. Samylin-which we put in her water but she wont drink water if its not fresh so there is no way she will touch it,metronidazole which is some sort of antibiotic and lactulose which is laxative but she has diarrhea anyway so she dosent need that either. We would really like her to have x ray to see if its spread but because she is petrified of vets we dont want to put her undr any stress whatsoever- vets just went of blood tests alone.
    I am goin to try the honey in water.
    Thanks again to everyone else for advice as it helps learning from experiences.It Stops us panicking so much knowing what shes goin thru is normal for her condition.
    Best wishes
    sweetpea

15. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hi Sweetpea - so sorry to hear about your girl - my boy has/had lymphoma he has currently finished his treat at the mo and touch wood doing so well.
    Can i give a bit of advice?The samylin can be mixed in her food - this is how we would normally recommend clients give it- its a supplement to support the liver and kidneys.As to why the vet has given lactulose when she has diarrhoea is a bit strange- unless she has episodes of being constipated!?Your girl will probably drink a lot - as you mentioned - and therefore will probably be passing urine more than usual to - this is more likely due to her kidney problems than her being well - she will be thirsty.Vets would never diagnose kidney cancer with just a urine sample - blood work would always be favoured as well as further diagnostics to ascertain it is definately cancer eg ultrasound (this would most likely be more diagnostic than an xray)as you actually see the struture of the kidney on ultrasound where as on xray you cant.Sorry for the ramble!Also with the kidneys being affected theyare more prone to infections eg cystitis which is possibly why they have put her on anitbiotics.I do hope your girl continues to fight.big hugs and kisses to her xx
    Laura and Dinky

16. bucksmum

How is your lovely girl this morning?

17. sweetpea1238

Hi
    Sorry Dinks to hear about your boy but is great news that he is responding to treatment.
    As for samylin-will try it in her food-her main diet is chicken and rice,the cheeky girl still has our leftovers,enjoys our biscuits,snacks etc. She has been sick again today and has a temperature-shes been trembling today and when she gets hot she lies on the kitchen floor which is very unusual for her to do. Also shes been sick again today.
    In fact my husband has just mixed samylin in her dinner and she wont eat it.i will keep trying it though. She has never been fussy with food-she was just like a vacuum cleaner!lol.
    She sleeps alot but she fights it .everytime we get her balls out she has a play.Antibiotics have cleared the sleep in her eyes.
    Im curious as to what stage her illness is at?
    Im understanding the disease a bit more from this wonderful site,
    p.s just tried samylin in my leftovers of sponge pudding and ice cream,shes eating it. Great!!
    thanks guys
    sweetpea1238

18. bucksmum

Thanks for the update,been thinking of you x glad she's enjoying her ice cream,she's not silly is she?!My terrier Judy lost her appetite and we found that putting her on steroids increased her appetite considerably.I normally hate steroids and avoid them but trying to get her to eat was breaking my heart and it was a last resort.Please don't think i'm interfering just wondering if it's worth mentioning to your vet next time you speak to him xx

19. sweetpea1238

Bucks mum-
    hi ya oh god you are not interfering by any means-any help whatsoever i would appreciate-you & this forum have been a god send.Steroids would help enourmously.Hope you dont mind me asking but did judy deteriorate quite quickly when she was diagnosed?Did Judy tremble at all? sorry- all these questions.
    With tess she gets extremely distressed going to the vets so my husband refused anymore surgery/anaesthetics as she hasnt been the same to be honest since she had her op on her leg.
    My husband isnt coping at all-i wish he could use the internet because i think it would help-people on here help me deal with it better.We had Tessas brother but he passed away at just 18mths with zinc deficiency.
    I will let you know tomorrow what the vet says about steroids.It may give her more energy. we want to take her to the beach soon hopefully.
    Thanks so much
    lisa

20. bucksmum

Hi x well,i had her blood tested as she was just not right,no appetite,very bloated tight abdomen,lethargic.This came on quite suddenly and the results were pretty bad.Her liver,pancreas and kidney function were all poor so we tried the royal canin kidney diet(which she flatly refused)and the steroids as a last resort.Within a couple of days her appetite was better and the bloatedness gone.We retested her blood a week later and the vet was amazed that the levels were nearly back to normal range.Yes she did tremble and sometimes she would lose balance.We also had a vet came to the house and gave her accupunture which i believe gave her some pain relief.Please let your husband know we are all thinking of you xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice