Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kicked a Dog Today...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leanne77, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My workload today has been very light - I had a job to do next to a local park and then I had to drive out to Ladybower Reservoir to do a small job there, and then drive to Lichfield. Anyway, I decided to take the dogs with me as they could have a walk on the park and then a small walk up the Derwent Valley.

So, on the park this morning I noticed a bloke walking his Labrador. I noticed him because his dog was doing a poo in the middle of a football pitch and he was more than 50 yards ahead ignoring his dog, hence didnt pick up the poo. My blood pressure rose slightly but he was too far away for me to do anything about it. Then, his dog spotted mine and started to run at full speed the distance of about 150-200 yards to get to us. I had plenty of time to call my dogs, get them in a sit and stand and wait (in hindsight I should have turned round and walked the other way). As the Lab approached I walked forward shouting at it to go away, it just glanced at me, ran round me and proceeded to shove it's nose into the nether regions of my dogs. Understandably my dogs got up as they were being accosted very rudely, Jed saw it as his chance to mingle, Flynn started to kick off. So, i'm trying to get my own dogs under control as well as do something to get the Lab away. Dont get me wrong, it was very friendly but it was determined, persistent and had no manners despite the fact it appeared to be a middle aged dog. I shouted, shooed, pushed it with my hand, grabbed it's collar (that came off straight away) but it was oblivious to everything I was doing. By this time my dogs were getting stressed, I was getting very angry and stressed so I resorted to kicking it several times as nothing was working (not hard but with enough force to call my actions a kick and make it felt). The bloody dog still ignored my efforts, I couldnt believe it.

Anyway, I glanced towards it's owner and saw him skulking next to some bushes, watching the commotion, not doing anything about it but trying to give the impression it wasnt his dog. Finally the dog suddenly remembered it had an owner and gave the bloke away by running straight up to him, where he proceeded to walk off. By this time my blood was boiling so I heeled my dogs and started marching towards him. As his dog started to run over again, I yelled for him to call it which he did and it went straight back. I carried on walking towards him, yelling my grievances and the other dog walker who had stopped to speak to him decided to beat a hasty retreat! The man himself put the lead on his dog and walked off before I could reach him, he obviously didnt want a confrontation.

Apart from being irresponsible for not cleaning up poo, allowing his dog to run silly distances to reach other dogs, and not attempting to get it back when it's being a nuisance - what dog owner witnesses somebody else kicking their dog and doesnt do anything to stop it? Now, some may say i'm wrong for kicking the dog but it wasnt my first resort, I tried other things which didnt work but what can you do to get rid of a dog that is oblivious and determined?

I tried to have a nice walk later on at Ladybower but Flynn was being his usual OTT, hyper aroused self and I just couldnt deal with him, plus I had a panic attack about his funny turns so what should have been a nice, easy day was actually a nightmare!

But looking at views like this made me feel a bit calmer!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Leanne77, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I had a similar experience with a yellow lab on Pippi's Gotcha day walk. As it came bounding over I recalled mine and got hold of the two big dogs. It's owner was a good 200 yards away and didn't recall it or look the least bit bothered that his dog was running round in circles and jumping all over my two who were barking frantically at this point. I decided to just let them go and they all ganged up on it barking and chasing it so it got a bit more than it bargained for. I just walked past the owner, smiled and said "Good afternoon." while his dog was being harassed by all three of mine :)

If someone else can't be bothered to control their dog then I'm not going to be controlling mine any more and if they're too much for the other dog tough Sh*t!

3. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I can't help feeling that as the dog was friendly maybe there was no need to kick it....?

Sorry, that's just my initial feeling.

I think I might have simply called my dogs, and walked away and then let the other owner chase after me.

Personally I would only kick a dog if it was actually being aggressive.

emmaviolet likes this.
  4. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

Kicking it was a bit ott. I think if a newbie wrote this they would be ripped to shreds:confused:

5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The problem is Flynn can be reactive towards other dogs, especially if they are in his space and bothering him. I dont want him practising that behaviour so letting him loose on the other dog wasnt an option, especially since his problems stem from anxiety and insecurities so he does not deal with situations correctly. And Jed would have only encouraged it by playing.

Excuses are being made for friendly dogs again. Quite frankly, I dont care how pleasant a dog is, if it's causing me and my dogs stress and will not go away then it gets dealt a bum hand and I will deal with it as I see fit at the time. If I think it needs a kick to get the message across then thats what i'll do. If I have to feel the wrath of the dogs owner then believe me, they will feel mine too.
    I'm fed up to the back teeth of these friendly dogs whose owners do nothing to control them, I can feel some sympathy if the dog is in training and the owner fetches it and apologises. Thats not what ires me.

6. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I have a reactive dog myself, so no, I'm not 'making excuses' for this dog and/or the owner.

You've described what you did and I am simply remarking that, personally, I would only kick a dog if it was being actively aggressive towards mine.

I would prefer to simply call my dog and walk away rather than kick a friendly dog.

I might be more inclined to kick the other owner :D

DT likes this.
  7. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I can't stand dogs who just will not get the hint, or their owners for that matter.
    The last two dogs that did that to mine, quickly switched from being friendly, to trying to bite my dogs & Danny ended up with a puncture wound on his stomach. :rolleyes:

If I went flying up to someone, leapt on them and gave them a hug, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a positive response.

8. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

But dogs arent human. I dont think you would get a positive response if you decided to poo in the street either :)

9. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Doesn't stop me though. :D

10. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

As far as i'm concerned, I am a newbie because I know very few people on this forum, and vice versa.

We all have a responsibility to keep our dogs safe. I read numerous times, and on here very recently, where dogs are approaching other dogs, and people when it's perhaps not welcomed. Rightly or wrongly, there are people out there (yes, me included) who will take offence at the kind of dog we came across today. It didnt just potter over, have a quick sniff and move on, it was harassing my dogs by quite roughly shoving it's nose in their nethers, shoving and pushing etc and not taking the hint.
    My point being that although a dog may be friendly, it could get hurt by approaching the wrong dog or person, even something as simple as an elderly person who feels scared and hits a dog with their walking stick. Dog owner then gets angry when they should have had control of their dog in the first place so they are the ones to blame. It's not just about etiquette and personal space, it's about keeping our dogs from harm too.

11. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

If i was the man i would have made a sharp exit too. Someone kicked my dog and then started coming towards me shouting i would have cra**ed myself

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont think Id have a problem booting a 'friendly' dog and I have done so before (also thrown a few punches too!). Usually coz some moron is happily watching their dog 'play' with mine in a lovely game of chase......whilst my dog is running as fast as it can to get away, screaming in fear and Im shouting at them to get their dog!!:mad:
    It takes 2 to make a friendly meeting and if the other dog is upset, scared, or intimidated then that 'friendly' dog has become a bully and a menace! Also if the owner ignores obvious signs of distress from the other owner and dog then they are just as bad IMO.

13. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

Lol :D :D :D

14. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Sorry, but I don't think she had much choice in the ciircomstances. I think, I would have done the same to a completely out of control dog pestering Holly like that

15. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

I would understand an aggressive dog but i cant understand doing it to a friendly one. I would have just said to the owner my dog gets stressed with ither dogs please come get your dog

16. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Exactly!! I could see the man watching me struggle and he would have been able to hear me shouting but to be honest, he came across as a coward. He obviously saw the trouble his dog was causing, knew he'd probably get a mouthful from me and was too spineless to face me. Had I not been in the middle of my work day then I would have continued to walk the length of the field to catch him up and tell him to his face rather than shouting at him across the park.

17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The owner was about 200 yards away...

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

two Weimaraners and a cross breed today who wanted to bounce all over Benny my beagle who at nearly 12 really doesnt need that kind of attention..

They were friendly but annoying and the owner couldnt see the problem until Benny lost his temper and lunged for one of them.....

Theres saying hello and theres unwanted attention the two are very different

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't really agree with kicking a dog just for being annoying. I have a reactive dog who would probably have been going insane in this instance, but I still can't see me kicking someone elses dog. Personally i'd have gained control of my dogs (which I see you did) and just walked away. Eventually the Lab would've got bored of following or would have returned to his owner. One thing I CERTAINLY wouldn't have done is then walk in their direction purely to cause a confrontation :confused: well - maybe if I hadn't have had a reactive dog with me then I might have approached him, but why then walk towards them with a reactive dog? Surely the better option would be to walk away, not follow them and cause a confrontation and more stress.

20. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I can understand where your were coming from with regards the kick, not something I think I would do myself but I can see why you went there. Poor lab having an owner that is prepared to stand back and let him get himself in some bother. What a coward! I had to laugh a little at him beating a hasty retreat with you shouting after him though! :p

I know that in the heat of the moment it is so easy to get caught up and want to go on the attack when something like that happens, but it is fruitless - the guy will still let his lab do what it likes and try to hide in the bushes while it does so! :rolleyes: The best thing to do is probably to walk away - but I do understand the desire to go and give someone like that what for!

Ladybower is lovely isn't it? I grew up in the SW of Sheffield and that whole area out in the Peaks still has a special place in my heart. :)

And Gemmaa - thanks for the laugh. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice