Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kg -v- l

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lilylass, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how KG relates to L?

Looking at cat litter and one has a price of 50p / L and another 70p / kg - but I've not idea how many kg are in a l

Does anyone know?

Also - does anyone know anywhere I can buy Biokats apart from zoo+?

2. Asteria

Asteria PetForums Member

It's hard to know for sure due to not knowing the density of the cat litters. :confused:

If we were talking about water, one kg of water is one litre although cat litter is less dense than water so one kg of cat litter would be more than one litre of cat litter. It would be hard to know by how much though as we do not know the density. You can assume that one litre of litter will weigh less than one kg.

From those prices I would estimate that it is cheaper to go with the one which is 70p per kg assuming that both have similar densities eg both are similar types of litter.

3. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

If I had a full bag I could weigh it now, but I don't. I could use a measuring cup but it wouldn't be precise as a little error multiplies by 20L becomes a big error!

Maybe in my next order I could weigh a bag for you. It might take a few weeks though.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

1 kg is a weight measurement
    1lt is a volume measurement,I don't think there is a reliable comparison

5. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Oh lord :eek:

I will say now .... maths (and anything to do with it!) isn't my strong point :eek:

Never even occurred to me to weigh one :eek:

So ... my current 15L bag weighs 14kg

It is slightly different from the one I was looking at but will use that as a base figure

so ...... using the price above:

0.50 / L x 15 L bag would make it £7.50 for the bag

0.70 / kg x 14 kg bag would make it £9.80 / bag

Does that sound about right?

6. Asteria

Asteria PetForums Member

Yes, assuming that the litter has the same density (am I wrong in thinking you are comparing two different brands?) it does sound like the 70p/kg bag is more expensive.

I thought that you were comparing the prices of different litters but if these are the same brand/type and are the prices from two different sites I would buy the 50p/L bag as it works out cheaper.

Hope this helps! :)

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Heavy cat litters are sold by weight and light ones by volume. There's no point attempting to compare one with the other in the bag. You can't tell by price/unit if it's going to be good value for money.

8. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

KG is volume, L is weight, so it would depend on the density of the cat litter, so can't say that it's a straight correspondence.

Eg 1Litre of water weighs 1 kilogram

but a litre (volume) of feathers would weigh much mess, and a litre (volume) of lead considerably more. (Yes, I know litres measure vilumes of liqui, but you get my drift)

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As havoc has said unless the 2 litters are equal density it is not really possible to compare lt's and kg's

10. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

11. Asteria

Asteria PetForums Member

If we are comparing litres and kgs of the same cat litter we can assume that 1L of litter is less than 1kg.

If the litter is the one as above (15L = 14kg) 1 litre of cat litter would have a mass of 0.93kg. So a bag with a mass of 15kg would be £10.50 (@ 0.70p/kg), and a bag with a volume of 15L would be £7.50 (@ 0.50p/L).

Although if we are comparing two different cat litters we would not be able to make this comparison without the kg-L conversion factor of this litter compared to the other.

It is possible, it just requires a lot more maths than you would expect for a cat litter purchase haha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice