Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ketogenic diet for controlling epilepsy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MeanwhileInHell, Feb 19, 2020.

1. MeanwhileInHell

MeanwhileInHell PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried changing their dogs diet to a ketogenic one in order to help control epileptic seizures? I found this study during my research that found that a ketogenic diet rich in medium-chain triacylgylycerols (man-made fats like coconut oil, butter etc) had been shown to help.

I have been looking into keto diets anyway, but one of the things that I don't truly trust is the ratios. 4:1 fats to protein+carbs combined by weight seems like a lot. I was watching a video with a "keto expert" called Trish Woodier on keepthetailwagging, and she mentioned that when she started it looked like a bowl of oil. I started using the keto calculator on ketopetsanctuary and it definitely wasn't these high ratios. It was like 400g ground beef, and 50g of coco oil.

Has anyone tried this, specifically to treat epilepsy, something like 3:1 or 4:1 ratio? If so, I'd love to see a photo of what you feed.

Thanks!

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No, haven't tried this. I would think it depends greatly on the individual dog.
    We had a dog with epilepsy years ago, and his fits were definitely triggered by high fat meals. We fed our dogs table scraps and quickly correlated high fat scraps with his seizures.
    Diet and epilepsy can be related, but triggers will differ for each individual.

I would definitely consult your vet and make sure you're still getting adequate nutrients in to your dog.
    What breed and how old?

lullabydream likes this.
  3. MeanwhileInHell

MeanwhileInHell PetForums Newbie

He is an 8 year old basset hound. He started having them at the end of last summer. They have gradually increased over time, and he now tends to have them in clusters spaced out by a few hours every 2 weeks or so. As yet we have been unable to establish any type of trigger, and we may never find one. I have talked to my vet about it and he supports us trying everything so long as its supported by some scientific basis.

I can't seem to link the study, but the title of it is "A randomised trial of a medium-chain TAG diet as treatment for dogs with idiopathic epilepsy"

#3 MeanwhileInHell, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice