Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kenzie and Tala - an update

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Jan 17, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd do an update on Kenzie and Tala, since Kenzie has been here for 1 month now, and since a lot of you have been VERY helpful during the past month :yesnod:

I'll start by saying there's still a LONG way to go, but at the same time Kenzie and Tala have made a lot of progress :D

If you imagine a dog that goes completely uncontrollably mental every time it even thinks there's a cat around, you'll be able to imagine what Kenzie was like 1 month ago. In other words, a complete nutcase 24/7 :rolleyes:

Now....

Kenzie no longer runs around like a loon if she can smell that Tala's been somewhere :thumbup:

She no longer barks and barks and barks if she can hear Tala's collar jangling outside :thumbup:

She no longer barks and barks and barks if she can see Tala through a window :thumbup:

They no longer have fights through the (closed) cat door :thumbup:

They will sit within a few feet of each other and eat their food (with Kenzie on a lead) :thumbup:

Kenzie will sit quite happily and watch Tala if Tala isn't moving, and Tala will quite happily ignore Kenzie :thumbup:

So this is all BIG progress! :D

Kenzie's chase instinct does kick in if Tala moves any faster than a slow walk, and Tala is still too reluctant to come inside if Kenzie is around which means to get them both in the same room someone has to take Kenzie down to a bedroom and occupy her while someone else lets Tala in and gets her to settle on the sofa. And occasionally Kenzie still loses the plot and just goes mental, but this is getting few and far between, generally the most we get out of her is a bark or two and a bit of whining.

So as I say, still many months (at least!) of work to be done, but we're actually getting somewhere!!! :w00t: I really want to thank everyone (you know who you are!) who have offered ideas and suggestions and support and encouragement to me about this over the past month :)

2. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Great progress. Well done you and well done Kenzie. :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That all sounds really promising, well done :D.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thats great! :thumbup:

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Well done. It just takes time. I feel sorry for poor Tala though, having her home invaded :D

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Really great to hear you 're finally getting there:)

7. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Great progress so far! Slow and steady is the way to go and it looks like you will get there at some point. Well done :thumbup:

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Excellent news:D:D

It all takes time. Heidi impressed me yesterday. She will "leave" my cats if I ask but havent needed to for a while. She will snuggle up and sleep with Tigger and Rosie often instigates play (usually ending up with Heidi getting a "left hook")

Yesterday on our way home, she was walking with me off lead and spotted a cat in our path. I asked "leave" convinced we would have a repeat performance of Heidi wearing neighbour's catflap. But she didnt. She stayed with me and left the cat alone:D I was so impressed with her!! :yesnod::D

9. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Sounds like you've achieved more with Kenzie and Tala in 1 month than we have managed with Lily and Tabetha in nearly a year!! I'm still hopeful though :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice