Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kennels

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Heather Robertson, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Heather Robertson

Heather Robertson PetForums Newbie

Hi

My two cockers are 3 and 18 months. They have never been in kennels
    since we got them. :blink:

We are thinking of taking a holiday abroad (1st for 3 years) for a week.

How do you think they will cope?

And what do I look for, apart from the obvious, heated kennel etc.

Thanks

Heather

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

for the majority, dogs settle into kennels absolutely fine.

have a good look around at kennels, always visit them first and have a tour around. any kennels that doesnt let you look around, is best avoided.
    look for cleanliness, not just in the actual kennels, but in all the areas.
    ask any questions you want, they should be willing to answer your queries.

you may have to travel to find one you are happy with, but its worth it :)

just noticed you are in renfrewshire. have a look at Allers farm kennels. they are lovely out there. i was going to put my dogs in there last year but they were full. im using one called BonnyBankhttp://www.bonnybankkennels.com/?page_id=20. its out in ayrshire, but it was great when i went to visit. only like an hours drive, so not too bad.

#2 Ducky, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I home board and he is very happy there. I did day visits before and he loves to see her, which is a good indication of how happy he is. I get updates and also photos of his adventures.

4. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Look for a kennel that says you can pop in to look around at any time, it means they have nothing to hide, also ask if you can take the dogs to look around with you(they may refuse if the dogs havent had the kennel cough vaccination yet). Somewhere secure for the dogs to play off lead is always good and them having an on lead walk aswell as the play time is even better :)
    Ask what staff they have and if possible try to meet them and see how they react to the dogs, do they fuss them straight away or just pass by them?
    Ask if you can take some of their things, toys, blankets with you.
    I work at a kennels and we do all of that. Cockers are generally happy little things and settle very well into the kennels, ocassionally noisy! If they like toys then I would take them a couple with them and something of theres like a blanket. Kennels do appreciate it if you dont take great big duvets and things that cant really be put in the washing machine and dried, just incase they get dirty or wet :) Blankets and waterproof beds are perfect :)

*Heidi*

#4 hazyreality, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

I'd say when you find one you like the look of put the dogs in for a weekend - then it's not such a shock to them - I put my boy in for an odd weekend here and there from being about 6 months old and he goes in regularly now (aged 5 3/4) without any problems at all - and I have total peace of mind that they'll know if something is wrong because they know him well:001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice