UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, those who have kenneled multiple dogs (either boarding kennels or kennels they live in), have you kenneled them together or separately?

What made you decide on what you did? Would you do it again, or would you do it the opposite away around next time? Also, if you could add if it was boarding or living kennels :eek:

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I used to kennel my dogs at night and when I was out. They were all in one kennel and run, including new dogs and puppies.

When I had boarding kennels I had one massive kennel that I could put multi dogs in if that is what the owner wanted. I only once had to split them up when one dog was showing aggression.

Having read this it looks like I put dogs from different owners in one huge kennel. I do mean that they belonged to the same person. I had owners with up to 4 dogs that came to me regularly.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Zipper and Lilly were boarded for 1 week when we went to Florida.
They were boarded in one kennel together.
My reasoning was they were away from home in a strange enviroment, the only thing that was consistant was their bed and each other - I think it would of been more stressful for them to of been seperated.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
We plan on getting kennels for the garden next year. It'll be big enough for at least 4 dogs and will have two separate bits. But they'll be next to each other so they won't really be alone. Pennie likes to cuddle with Louie. And Jack and Lou have had a couple of scraps. The plan is that when we have all 5 here, the bigger dogs (The clowns and the older boys) will be outside when it's too warm in the house at night. There will only be Sadie in the house because she would just bark her head off. They're also being used for feeding times - for the clowns as they are raw fed. So I can have one in each bit then and also for after muddy walks, they can dry off and then be brought in, save my kitchen the mess.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Rocco and Ellie share a crate at night and Haifa has her own large crate. When we have used kennels the dogs have all been together through the day but in the evening Haifa is by herself and the other two together. the reason for this was simply , Haifa doesnt care who or what she sits on so it was safer to separate. Its worked fine for us

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
When I had several dogs they were kenneled at night in couples or 3's:)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
When I used boarding kennels, they were always together cause they have a strong bond and get upset when they're separated.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
When we put Hugo and Oscar in a kennel for a day, not overnight, (we just had to day board them while we went to my Nan's funeral cos otherwise they'd have been left too long without a wee and noone was available to help us anyway...) I had them in seperate kennels but walked together. Reason being that Hugo was still completely hounding Oscar to play all the time and Oscar was choosing to get away from him by jumping the baby gate quite regularly. I didn't want to put Oscar in a position where he couldn't get away and had to try aggression by kenneling them together.

Now I'm not sure what I would do. They are both graduated from crates now and have the run of the house together at night and if we leave them in during the day, they can play fight nicely without it being constant, but I do sometime still interrupt it if Oscar looks worried... I'm not sure if the added stress of being in kennels would make Oscar much less happy with Hugo nagging him but Hugo woud definitely prefer to be in with his big bro who he worships.

Nope. I've no idea what I would ask for now. :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
All my dogs are housed outside, simply because I'm living with 5 other people (my parents and 3 sisters), 3 birds and a lizard, in a small home. I've done ALOT to make sure my dogs have shelter tho!

Their pen is in the back corner of the yard, behind my taxidermy shed, and next to a smaller storage shed. Inside is completely fenced all round, the only access in and out is through the gate. It's well ventilated but also protects against bad weather. The roof is sheets of metal.

Inside there's 4 kennels (not bed, actual dog kennels me and dad built) so they all have their own place to sleep, or the option to share. Tucker has taken claim of the kennel furthest in, Ripley and Milo will sleep in any of the other kennels, sometimes separately and sometimes together.

In short, all my dogs shared a pen but they all had their own kennel to go to. I haven't got round to getting rid of one of the kennels after Sandy went to Rainbow Bridge... I honestly don't think I could get rid of the extra kennel :(

The kennel has been wired up with a light incase I need to go check on things at night time. In extreme weather I lock all the dogs into the pen, our shed roofs have stuff on them and I'm paranoid something will fall off and hurt them so I keep them in the pen for their own safety during real bad weather. Any other time they have the run of the entire yard.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I dont use boarding kennels, but if i did they would board seperate, my 2 gsds would go together and the rottie and husky would go seperate, too close confinement for them all the be together for a long period.
They stay with friends if needed or family.

I live in a very large house with alot lf land so i do have a block of kennels outside, mainly as i bring home a rescue each night from work though, and if needed they can go in the kennel. Also my dogs will someimes spend most of the day or night sometimes outside, so they can go in kennel if needed.

Ive worked in alot of kennels and now rescue, so i know too many things which go on and i dont really like the environment for dogs, i also belive it causes alot of steriotypies in alot of dogs. I will leav my dogs will friends or family which can deal with them well.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
When I kennelled my dogs for a weekend, along with my ex's dog, we booked 2 kennels with 2 dogs in each. There was only one combination that was going to work and that was Jessie and Flynn sharing a kennel and Jed and Millie but thats only because Jessie had previously fought with both Jed and Millie.

But anyway, I would never have kennelled them separately because they are used to each others company and would be mortified if they suddenly found themselves alone in a kennel without anything familiar around them. With Jessie being an ex rescue dog and Flynn being so anxious and dependent on me, I just couldnt have left them alone and at least without each other.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
When we go on holiday my two are in separate kennels...the only reason for this is chester is a food guarder, but, they are walked together and allowed off lead in the play park together.

I think its all down to the dogs...when i had the two bull terriers they were always together

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Mine go together when they've been boarded and in the kennel we have at home. I'm sure Scooter would appreciate the peace and quiet of a single kennel and he's been successfully kenneled alone in the past but I doubt Breeze would cope well alone.

I've seen lots of dogs from the same house kenneled separately and then walked together for various reasons; the most common reason seems to be when one dog is very quiet or perhaps elderly and the other very boisterous. Food guarding is another one but both kennels I've worked at will separate dogs in shared kennels if needed when food is around - easily done with a hatch.

Some boarding kennels have very large "family kennels" and I've seen up to 4 small-medium dogs in one. If when you look at kennels they only have one size or style, look at how big it is and try to imagine your dogs in it. Some don't leave much room for the dogs once there's 2 beds in there so if possible ask for a large/double kennel ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.