Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kennel dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, May 21, 2010.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I'm wandering if Button would be happier as a kennel dog.

Since William has gone she has not settled properly at all she is definitely not happy. She is barking in the night and the last few days as OH has been busy doing the drive ready for the caravan to come tomorrow. He's had to widen it so that Ben can still get his motorbike on too. The dogs have had to spent more time that usual in their crates. For their own safety really as he has had to have the front door open and having had 1 dog escape and be hit by a car was not prepared to have the same happen to another.

It has been so hot and our back garden is a sun trap with no shade that he didn't like to leave them outside even if he'd have left the door open so they could get in they would have lay in the sun.

When I got home I put some old boards on some bricks found an old big crate and set it up in the garden. The covered it up with a tarpaulin I found an old peice of carpet and put that in and then put Button outside.

She is now happily lying in the crate I've been out and even left the back door open but she's stayed in the crate quite happily. I'll not leave her out all night I make her come in soon.

OH is on about rehoming her. Its now 8 weeks and although she has stopped chewing herself it is obvious she is not happy without William and OH says we are not having another greyhound I don't think I couldcope with another greyhound yet.

Do you think she would be happier outside with the freedom to roam the garden. I have a brick shed that I could clear out and she could sleep in if I thought she would be happy.

2. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

Surely anythings worth a try before having to make that decision to rehome as i know it would just kill you. Dont racing greyhounds live in kennels? Am sure especially during the summer she would be ok :thumbup:

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Possibly she needs canine company. Any doggy friends to visit?

4. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Is she crated next to the whippets at the moment and does she interact with them or was she more just Williams friend? Its hard to say if being outdoors will help as it sounds more like she's just missing her companion, but you could give it a go.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

When harvey lost his brother he prefered to be outside, non of my dogs have ever wanted to be outside for any length of time without us there so this was really out of character for him he used to lay in the garden inbetween standing at the gate looking up and down our road for monty, he just wanted to be outside in case monty came back ime sure of it as he never does it now, so i do think he is missing his friend, i would if possible get another dog rather than rehome yours. Hope it goes well its awfull when they are so unsettled, good luck.

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

She definitely does not need canine companionship she lives with 8 whippets and an irish setter. None of which I would trust her with as she can be a bit cantacerous. She was fine with William as he just ingnored her moods but I wouldn't trust her with any of the others. Zoe is of the same frame of mind as Button can be a funny cow if the mood takes her so I wont leave them together.

This morning I've let them all out and she's gone straight into the outside crate and lay down so 've left her outside again for now. She'll have to come in soon as we have to go and fetch the caravan then she can go back out when we get back.

2hounds she was all William she doesn't particulary like the whippets. She can see them when she is in her crate. If she hadn't been so destructive I would let her stay in the living room at night but she chews anything. If she's happy to be outside then thats ok by me as long as she doesn't bark and annoy the neighbours.

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Sorry didnt know you had other dogs she could still be outside waiting, wondering where william is what a shame we thought when harvey was like this if we could only explain to him i do know the not knowing is very distressing for them, i think you are doing the right thing let her do what she wants and is happy doing while she is going through this. Bless her.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Rehoming her would not be a problem if it was the best thing for her then I already have a home for her. William's breeder has always loved her and has said if we ever decided to rehome her she would have her. She would then be living with other greyhounds but that will be a last resort. If she's happy to be outside even if its just in the day then I'll have a run put up.

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We got back from fetching the caravan at 2pm so put Button outside. She's just been in for her tea then wandered back outside and putherself back in the crate. She has a big knuckle bone to chew on but she just seems happy tolie there. She's not chewed the carpet which she would have done if she had been in the house.

Maybe she just wants some time out away from the rowdy gang.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice