Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kelpies?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Heelp??

My friend in the pet shop has given my number to a customer in need of huge help.

She has a 3yo Kelpie, had her since a puppy. But she has pulled something in her back (the woman, not the dog) and is unable to care for the dog so its driving her mad, naturally, being a kelpie.

All I know about them is that they are more hard work than a collie.

She wants some respite from this dog while she recoveres but I don't think I could have it in my house if its 'on the go all the time' like she says. I think it would drive me mad!

Though I am prepared to collect and walk the dog with my pair, I rekon Dixie would get on with it.

Can anyone give me any info on them? Can you let them off in a field or do they jump out?

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

ive only ever met one kelpie, and it was in the kennels. so cant really give much help! he was quite bouncy, but he was also quite obedient. but i never had him outside, so who knows :confused:

4. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

We've had one Kelpie in the Salon and she was a lovely dog though she was quite quiet, though she was quite an old dog. Could be a bit barky at times.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thank you, will have a look at that site :)

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

About the same intensity maybe more than a working bred collie. Very high energy, intelligent need a job to do. I would guess they can go offlead if you can train a good recall maybe keep on a long lead at first. They can jump though :eek:. Most of the ones I've met have been nuts and those are ones that compete in agility so have lots of exercise and stimulation.

7. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Very popular for agility right now, a very good friend of mine has 4 and 2 collie x kelpies and then 2 collies, all agility dogs.

They do have an off switch and they can be let off lead but they do need allot of work, as Nicky said they are like working border collies sometimes worse.

There's a guy up the road from me with one, he dosen't work his but he is out with him 4-6 times a day from half an hour to two hours. He's funny with some dogs so dosen't like to spend too long out but when he's off the lead his owner is throwing a ball for him while walking around.

Kelpies are stunning, i'd love one myself.

8. Pets_R_Me:)

Pets_R_Me:) Guest

Don't know much about the breed, sorry.

You could look into Pet Foster Services Scotland They may be able to help her out with some respite.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I know several - all obedience and agility dogs.

As you rightly say more loony than the average collie but very trainable.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've given her the number for the blue cross pet fostering scheme to call, she is worried because she is on a pension, the dog isn't getting the care she needs but she doesn't want to have to rehome her. She's been having panic attacks just worrying that she will have to rehome the dog. Hopefully the fostering scheme can help her because I am not sure I would have the time to look after a kelpie right now. She isn't in our town so I can't even go and walk the dog for her.

11. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Kelpie? *runs and hides*

I know I couldnt handle a border collie so a kelpie would terrify me :eek:
    Probably a rumor but supposedly some farmers wont even have them as they are so energetic, they work till they drop. Ive seen vids of them running over the sheep who already penned for something to do lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice