UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a border collie who i have learnt to sit before i take the lead off to let her run but when walking with the lead anywhere she keeps stopping and just sitting refuseing to walk i then have to pick her up for a few steps then she will walk is this because she wants to come off the lead or another reason? can anyone help?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Did you used to treat her when she sat whilst on the lead?

How long ago did you stop treating if you did to begin with? She might be wanting a treat so start treating her every so often for walking.

Other than that how old is the dog?
How else have you tried to coax the dog to keep walking other than picking it up and carrying it? I would suggest not picking her up or she will expect the treat of physical praise (picking up) all of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had a border collie and they are very intelligent, reckons the thought of coming off the lead is great, and hence why the sitting, but you are in charge and you decide when she comes off the lead.

I'm no expert, but if your dog is healthy she might be just trying it on, there could be another reason and I'm sure someone on the forum will find the answer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i havent treated her for siting that was the reward just coming off but i do walk her alot of the lead as live very colse to alot of big fields maybe she just thinks she can walk without it all of the time? she is 10 months old and she is very clever!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.