Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping your tank cool

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by George Duke-Cohan, May 10, 2020.

1. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Hey guys,
    So as we are all aware in the UK, summer is here and temperatures are rising. Now keeping your tanks at the correct temperature is easier in the winter with the use of a heater. But in the summer there is not really much to cool your tanks down. So here are a few tips to keep the temp down.
    1.) Reduce your lights on time. I don't know about you but my lights give off heat and with a lid on it can build up and start to warm my tank. By reducing the amount of time you have your lights on, reduces the time that the heat is being given off.
    2.) If you have a lid on your aquarium then it can restrict the heat transfer. So by having good surface agitation, and leaving your lid open this will allow more heat to be expelled, and for the cooler temperature to be absorbed. I have found by lifting my lid it is able to drop the temperature a lot, but make sure your tank does not get too cold.
    3.) Ice cubes. This is not always the best option and you need to do some preparation. Get some tank water and make ice cubes out of it, DO NOT use tap water as you will be releasing chlorine and heavy metals into the water column. This does work but is not really that affective for larger tanks, also you are adding water to your tank.
    4.) Cooling fans. So just like opening the lid, it is important to maximise your repeater exchange. You can find on Amazon a few good cooling fans that will force cooler air across your tank water surface, helping to blow away the hot air coming off and blowing cooler air to be absorbed.
    5.)Cooling systems. Now these are harder to find. But you can get filter looking systems that will cool your tank water down. It works kind of like a fridge, takes water in and runs it past cooling pipes or panels in the device, then sends it back into your tank. You can make these for rather cheap, but you will need to know a bit about electrical engineering.

Hope this helps you guys out, if anyone has more good tips then please let me know so I can add them.

2. George Duke-Cohan

This could help you guys out. Today in the UK it is going to HOT!!! So keep your tanks cool.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

TBH I worry more about the dogs than the fish, although it would be different if I had temperate or cold water fish. Plus I'm in North East England, highest temp that I can remember was about 27°C. Tropical fish should be fine for that.

The tanks are in a North facing room, so in the coolest part of the house, Windows open at night and closed in the day to trap in the cooler air, and keeping the ambient air down all helps.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  4. George Duke-Cohan

Lucky. My tanks are at around 28 degrees, I have a room fan running to help cool them down. Also I am going to be making a chilled for the tanks. DIY, I will post how I do it on here and show you how it goes.

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

To be honest, even with temperate fish, it's not something I really worry about :oops:

I have an open-top tank with lots of surface agitation & a bubble wall to help increase oxygenation. I don't know about other, more sensitive fish but with my goldfish I'm more concerned with keeping good oxygen levels in the tank than temperature. It doesn't tend to get that hot where I live either, the warmest I've ever noticed my tank being was about 26C which shouldn't cause any issue. If it goes over 30C I'll consider worrying!

LinznMilly likes this.
  6. George Duke-Cohan

I think I am over reacting as my tanks have peaked at just above 28 degrees. They are not going any higher which is good.

7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Worrying too much is better than not thinking about it at all ;)

And it will be different for different species, some I'm sure are more sensitive than others. Though there is a lot of resistance to it in the goldfish-keeping community, there is at least some scientific research out there that suggests goldfish actually prefer warmer (24-30C) temperatures, plus I've observed no change in my fish or their behaviour during previous summers, so I can be pretty confident that they'll be fine. Some other species though might need a closer eye keeping on them, particularly in a smaller tank which would heat up more quickly.

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  8. George Duke-Cohan

Yeah, my 40 liter is doing ok, I have very little water flow now (designed to) so heat exchange is low same with gas. But soon to be solved.

Ermmm... yeah. Meet bubbles she is a dwarf puffer. Woddles my second dwarf puffer is exploring so not in that shot. But they look almost the same.... I really should not of got them, but I could not resist when I saw them in person. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

magpie likes this.
  9. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh, that is cute!

10. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

many years ago, I invested in a portable airconditioning unit, for Thunder ( my late boxerxmastiff)
    thankfully my tank never over heats as
    A) i have the back of the tank against an outside wall, which is under an overhang anyway, so is always a good 5+d lower than in my south facing garden, which no one can enter after 11am, until around 6pm, once summer is here
    B) i already have the aircon going and keeps my room at around 18d
    C) i always lower the water in my tank by about 2 inches, and turn bubble curtain upto high ( tank is 4ft x 2ftx2ft i h ave n idea how many litres that is, my late husband brought it specifically to fit the space)
    D) having lowered the tank water I can always float a bottle or two of cold water
    E) the lights are only ever on for 2hrs in the morning and then from about 6pm til I go to bed

its a community tank with all sorts of 'wrong' species in there together ( for example two types of gourami) a couple of fish are still going (plec grr) from before my husband passed 12 yrs ago

11. George Duke-Cohan

Thank you.

12. George Duke-Cohan

Sorry to read that your Husband passed away.:(
    I wish I had aircon, I may use the peltier modules to make an aircon.

13. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

It would be nice to see a pic of your tank, @mrs phas . I wasn't aware you still had fish. :)

14. George Duke-Cohan

15. mrs phas

yeah, just dont talk about it much
    im in the midst of clearing my house, then setting up my betta tank, not sure still whether to have a soriety or a lone male, love the males colours, but also love the busyness of a soriety tank

LinznMilly likes this.
  16. mrs phas

no sorry,
    1) im not into 'competitions' type threads my tank is how my husband like it, i dont need someone elses approval/disapproval nor anyone else 'suggestions' on how to improve it. I myself have kept fish for 45+years, before I even had dogs, but this tank was HIS
    2) being my husbands tank, its the last thing i have, that was his passion ( apart from the children of course) he had a green burial, so theres no grave, as such, to go visit, so i sit by the tank and reminisce about all the times we spent on it, on fish, and on travelling to get fish ( 300 mile round trip to get some red bellied piranha, with 3 kids under 3, is just one)

please dont take this as me being prickily or anything, its just that this tank is my 'private time' tank and i dont want anything to spoil it for me, not that i think anyone here would, deliberatley, but sometimes, even the most careful of us, dont realise we may have, inadvertantly, upset someone or spoiled a memory. As it is, im clearing 20 years of stuff from the house, as ive got to downsize, and im dreading the upset thats going to cause to it

once a have the 60l one up, I'll share it with everyone and anyone,and youll see whether i chose a sororiety, the lone male or if I went in a completely different direction all together
    as
    thatll be 'just another tank' as far as im concerned

I hope you understand

17. George Duke-Cohan

Yeah that is fine. It is not much of a competition more of just something to talk about and to be admired. But I understand.
    Can't wait to see the 60 liter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice