Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping your eye on the ball......

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Sleeping_Lion, May 26, 2010.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Tau is much steadier and knows her training better than Indie, who is a bit of a giddy kipper, rarely sits steady, spins before I throw a ball for her, you get the picture.....

So, I use Tau when Indie doesn't mark the ball, lining Tau up to go to the area the ball's dropped, and ask her to hunt for it. She's pretty good, she does *tend* to try to go towards where Indie is, but generally listens to me, and Indie usually tends to end up where Tau is looking for the ball as well. Yesterday I happened to have a spectator watching me, a couple walking along the public footpath nearby, watching me redirect Tau onto retrieves and get her hunting.

Anyway, Indie completely missed the mark, ended up running out way out of line, so I got Tau back to heel, lined her up and sent her. She didn't want to go where I wanted straight away, it has been quite muggy, so I took my time, handled her into the long grass where the ball was and Indie had missed it. Indie was (in the meantime) ranging back and forth like a loony, and Tau got her nose down and started hunting for me. Indie spotted this and returned to where Tau was, and started hunting too, I had my eye on Tau, Indie in the meantime had come back to me, and there I was, handling Tau onto a bit of ground, she knew it was there, she could smell it, kept indicating that she had caught the scent, but nothing.

It was then, I noticed the noise from Indie, who is a tad hard mouthed and most of her tennis balls end up in two, making a chomping noise at my feet. Of course, Indie had followed Tau to the area the ball had dropped, and blinkin' found it, and there I was making Tau hunt up an empty area.

So, I stopped her, and chucked her out another ball, she got her retrieve in the end, but it just goes to show, never take your eye off the ball, lol! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice