Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

keeping up blonde hair

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by redroses2106, Jan 6, 2012.

1. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

soo i thought i would ask here since ive been asking around some more opinions would be nice
    im planning on going from very dark brown hair to very light blonde but not quite bleach blonde
    my question is upkeeping my roots (i plan on getting the hairdresser to do my hair the first time) ive been looking up videos of doing roots etc and some say NOT to overlap the new dye onto any of the blonde hair as this will damage it is this true or is it ok to overlap also ive read about a halo effect where you can be left with a ring around the newly dyed and the old stuff :confused1:

now if that made any sence does anyone here dye there own roots and any handy tips
    if its gonna be too much upkeep i may just have to ditch my ideas

2. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

dont overlap . it will over process and damage your hair.

have you already got a colour on your hair? if so it may not be as simple as you think it will be. may take a few attemps at the hairdressers first.

halo effect is from over lapping and also heat from your head makes the colour take better so if you have massive roots you will end up with a band

3. redroses2106

its my natural colour although i am a very dark brown, almost black but i fancy a change my hair makes me look like a big goth :lol:

4. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

maybe go a nice rich light brown ? blonde will be a nightmare to up keep . especially if you dont normally colour it IMO

or just have a few highlights scattered through.

i wouldnt advise a full head tint blond though :)

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I'm very, very dark brown and tried to bleach my hair once - VERY bad move!!!! I did it myself and of course, the hairdresser had to sort it out. She said that it is really difficult to bleach hair as dark as mine.

Eventually, I opted to put red colours through it to minimise the goth look and it looked really nice.

Now that I am getting a nice grey tinge coming through, the red looks even better and has a natural 'highlight' effect. :)

6. redroses2106

thats why i was worried about it, would rather have healthy hair i hate the colour of than damaged hair that wouldnt look good anyway

i did plan on getting the hairdresser to do the whole hair first then just upkeeping the roots myself but it all seems sooo complicated :(

7. When I went from dark to Blonde it was the worse thing I ever did. I first ended up with bright Orange hair and then it went yellow and had the texture of straw. I ended up having to cut my hair short and dying it back to brown. My sister regually gets her hair dyed blonde at the hairdressers and her once natrually straight dark blonde hair is now wavy & damaged and breaks while combing not to mention the colour just does not look right with her skin tone. I'd stay dark and choose a lighter brown or a red personally.

#7 My lil Babies, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  8. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I went blonde when I was 17 and then kept it up with highlights - it's hard work because if your hair is dark - the roots look horrendous when they are coming through - nevertheless, I stayed blonde for the best part of 20 years.

Now, I am naturally 'blonde' hehe and I LOVE it :D like my mum - my hair is fading to white rather than grey and my daughter (who also colours her hair blonde) is insanely jealous :lol:

10. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I went from dyed reds back to blonde earlier last summer. I just got my hair dyed a nice light brown and then got blonde highlights in. Hairdresser said best to introduce it like this as I'd had red for over a decade and she didnt want me to go orange, lol, nor did I want the 'stripper' on to take it all off before dying again. I find the highlights dont make new growth so obvious looking and I can go longer between 'touch-ups', having only been back twice since August to get the colour done.

I am natural blonde like you swarthy, lol, and am also now going silver/white, lol! :)

11. redroses2106

awh thanks i might just leave it for now then, my hairdresser is very good but i definatly cant afford £40 every month for roots to be done :(

i got myself a wig to check it would suit me and it looks good,
    would obviously rather healthy hair, my hairs really quite long too and i wouldnt want to get it all chopped off coz i ruined it lol

12. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It depends on what you actually have done - you could start off with some subtle blonde highlights - if you don't have too many - they will fade in with the re-growth - it's if you have lots done the root regrowth really shows.

My hair used to be a mixture of white blond and strawberry blond highlights and I have to say I LOVED it - and love it even more now I have that combination naturally hehe.

I've been lucky that my hair has always been very strong and very thick - I've had perms on highlights and highlghts on perms and managed to keep it in condition - I've have things done to my hair I've almost had to sign disclaimers beforehand the hairdressers have been so nervous :eek: and been really lucky that apart form very dry ends which I've had trimmed off, I've never had any major problems.

Some hairdressers now will do hi and lo lights at the same time ;)

#12 swarthy, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. fire-siamesekitty

fire-siamesekitty PetForums VIP

Im going from blonde hair to brown in february only because im getting bored of the same colour and also just to have your roots done at the salon costs more than my weekly shopping lol....just to top up on roots costs £50 now:eek6: because they are saying that the bleach they use is expensive

14. redroses2106

thanks guys, i guess until i become rich and famous ill be sticking to my borig old goth hair (no offence to any goths:p)

15. nikki2009

nikki2009 PetForums VIP

hey ive just found this i have just stopped bleaching my hair blonde because it broke my hair off were i had to re do it every month i have dark brown hair also and have had to go back to my normal colour because it has ruined my hair ive got dead ends and bits shorter than others and its just ruined it

16. redroses2106

awh no :( definatly not worth that then.
    when i see other people with dark hair i think its really nice but just bored of it on myself really.

17. nikki2009

nikki2009 PetForums VIP

i got like that wiv my dark hair i looked realy pale with it so went for it and dyed the lot blonde and looked so much better but dyed it back after a year last month it was horrible cause i was so used to being blonde lol but i would rather go back to normal if it means my hair will go back to normal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice