Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping the kitten off the counter

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Velorien, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Velorien

Velorien PetForums Newbie

Our four-month-old kitten has just discovered she can reach the kitchen counter by climbing up the drawer handles. We tried dissuading her by covering them with double-sided tape, but stopped quickly after she continued anyway and damaged her fur. We tried aluminium foil, but stopped quickly after she continued anyway and tore a strip off and ate it. There's no physical way of preventing her from getting to it (the kitchen is not a separate room), and letting her roam around the counter seems like asking for trouble in terms of hygiene, sharp objects, and crockery being knocked over. What should we do?

2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

She sounds adorable. Please can you post a video of her doing this? I know it doesn’t help but it sounds too cute for words.

TriTri likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We used to just lift our two off the counter or table calmly and put them on the floor, every time we caught them. If we saw them go to jump we’d call them to us.

Also never left food out on the side.

Eventually, they just didn’t bother.

Of course, what they did when we were out .....? ;)

A quick spray with anti bac and a wipe down with a paper towel stopped any germ issues, just in case.

TriTri and buffie like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Life is too short to worry about cats on worktops .Use it as a reminder to keep them clear of sharp objects and never leave food out .
    Other than that just wipe down before use ,you would be doing that anyway .

spotty cats and Betty6691 like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Keep the counters cleared off of anything that the kitten could get hurt on or push off to the floor. Provide your kitten with an elevated space of her own in the kitchen so when you are in there she can be in there too, perched in her own spot. When she gets on the counter, gently lift her onto her own Spot. Feed her there, so she gets the idea it's hers.

When you aren't home though she may still get up there so just make sure everything is safe, and wipe the counter before you prepare food.

TriTri and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

I must agree with this. My cat loved watching us make a salad or chop vegetables (it excites their sense of smell). He didn’t make a fuss. Just happy to watch and sniff from a distance.

Betty6691 and buffie like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko loves being up on the worktops and to be honest I prefer him up there as I'm less likely to step on him or worse still going à**e over elbow tripping over him :rolleyes:.

spotty cats and Betty6691 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice