Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping the canter going and leg aids!

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by shamykebab, Mar 7, 2012.

1. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

I was riding a lovely horse today - he's 17hh but VERY lazy (I'm 5ft 1 and felt v insignificant when I was on him!). The main problem I had with him in the school was keeping the canter going and keeping him on the track when he decided to drop down unasked into trot - I don't think he even felt my leg aids at all! I like keeping a light contact normally but with him being so long in the neck I felt like I was constantly pulling his head back just to get him to listen.

Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen my leg aids? I really liked riding him (despite his enormous size!), but I rode so badly today - I just couldn't get him to listen.

p.s. I had my whip but would first like to improve my leg aids :).

2. Shady

Shady PetForums Member

I have always been told that the whip is there to aid your leg. So if the horse doesn't listen to your leg first, use the whip AS WELL as your leg, just to get him to listen to what you're asking him to do. I don't mean whacking him with the whip, but just a tap around where your legs are just to reinforce your leg. Unfortunately if my pony decides to stop listening to me I have to resort to pony club kicks just to get him to listen to me again. Some horses the whip doesn't work (as with my pony) others it makes no difference either way. But yeah, other than actually riding and using your legs, I don't personally know of any other way to strengthen it. You just need to teach him that when you squeeze with your leg you mean for him to listen. I'm sure more experienced people on here can advise you more. :) Good luck though, I hope you get the result that you want

3. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Thanks! I know what you mean about pony club kicks - I had to resort to that at one point just to get him to walk! :rolleyes:

I'm riding him again on Friday. If leg aids fail again I guess I'll have to resort to whip to get him to pay attention.

4. LucyLastic88

LucyLastic88 PetForums Senior

Maybe a lunge lesson may help, too, someone there with a lunge whip to chivvy him on and backup your aids when you ask for different transitions etc. This will also improve your leg strength too as you can concentrate of squeezing with your calves, your seat and general riding and not worry about steering.

5. emmaluvsmango

emmaluvsmango PetForums Junior

work on transitions, few steps of trot, then canter, then trot, then walk, then trot etc. Use your voice to encourange also, by asking for transitions this will wake him up get him listening to you.

Then ask for a canter and if he starts to slow down give him a tap get him moving, dont let him slow. Then ask for transitions again.

Is he the same on both reins? or does he find one more difficult than the other, how old is he? Maybe some hacking may help if possible as he may just be finding the school boring, mixing it up a bit might be just what he needs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice