Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping spiders in the UK - urgent!

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by RioFantastic, Aug 10, 2013.

1. RioFantastic

RioFantastic PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I've recently become obsessed with the idea of keeping a spider. I've looked into it a lot and decided that I don't want any of the typical choices for a starter spider like a tarantula or a jumping sider etc, but want to jump straight into the deep end and get a black widow. I haven't settled on what type but it doesn't really matter to me, I will be thrilled with whatever species of black widow I can get.

However, so far I've been unsuccesful in my search for information on legislation in the UK pertaining to spiders at all, so don't even know if you need a license (I assume you do) or how to apply for one or how to go about obtaining one. I would appreciate any help on this topic SO much!

Thanks!

2. ghostlove

ghostlove PetForums Newbie

It is perfectly legal to keep spiders in the UK and you do not need a licence. Check out Tarantulas UK for some truly expert advice on your questions. :)

3. Bellasmaid

Bellasmaid PetForums Senior

I believe you would have to have a Dangerous Wild Animals licence for this spider and you would be very lucky to find one for sale. Please do not even consider this spider as a first spider.

Our first spider wasn't the usual chille rose, believe me they aren't as docile as people say they are. Ours is the most vicious out of our spider collection tbh. Our first was a Giant White Knee and that's a lovely tarantula to own. Now we have a Giant White Knee, a Chile Rose, a Chile Flame and a Mombassa Starburst Baboon or OBT.

4. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

There are some big ones in our kitchen. I could kill one of them and you can take his mate if you like. You will have to bring your own jar, as I keep mine for jam.

5. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

Nooo don't squadge him! I'll have them both :yesnod:

They'll eat my squirmelts :yesnod:

6. lostbear

They're yours!

7. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Just shove them in the post with Bearcub :yesnod: xx

8. lostbear

I've popped them into a jiffy bag, along with 200 flies for food for the journey. Open with care.

9. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

You think I've been sat here all night just WAITING for a response?! HM?!

DO YOU?! :mad:

:eek: thanks...feel a bit bad for shouting now, it's just that I'd been sat here all night wai...ach, doesn't matter xx

10. lostbear

I'm sorry - I had to go out and have just got back. I knew you would be sitting waiting for a response, just as I know that at this very minute you are waiting beside the letterbox. How do I know? Because I would be exactly the same! We are twin souls, sharing a single brain cell, probably.:D

11. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

I don't get much post :blush:

12. lostbear

The arrival of a jiffy bag with two bloated arachnids and 200 desiccated flies will be a big treat for you then. Try not to get over excited. I put a web in the bag as well. I'm not sure about spiders, and was worried that they only have so many webs in them, and if the one they'd made in the kitchen was their last they'd starve to death. You can use drawing pins to fix it to a corner of the ceiling.

13. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

And you say it was in the kitchen :001_unsure:

14. lostbear

I never claimed to be an enthusiastic housekeeper.

However, I now think I know where the chicken that disappeared last week went. And I had blamed the dog . . .

15. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

*actual snigger like a stupid school girl*

I don't mind, I don't mind at all...it's just I'm getting REALLY confused about postage now, especially as these ate the flies before they came through the door...the HELL does that work out :huh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice