Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping playpen separate from crate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Katielouise525, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Katielouise525

Katielouise525 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys
    We have an 8 week old cocker spaniel pup. We are crate training him and so far so good (sleeps in there at night, enforced naps with a small amount of whining).
    We are working on him entertaining himself a little more in preparation for me going back to work in a couple of weeks. My partner works from home so will be here but will be working.
    So we recently got a playpen and our plan is to train him to be in there when he's not napping so my partner can get some work done (he will still pop to see him for treats and attention when he can).
    Problem is, the way our house is configured (if you know English new builds, you know!) means I can't attach his crate to the pen or have it inside so pup won't be able to nap voluntarily. He's in a good routine so my partner will just put him in his crate when it's nap time.
    Does this sound like an okay plan? He has a bed in his crate, should I put that in the pen incase he wants to rest? Don't want to confuse him or affect the crare training in any way!
    Thanks guys and sorry if this was a long read!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is good that your pup is getting in a routine and happy to stay in the crate to sleep. Personally I would just have the crate open in the day. I think it is a huge ask to expect him to spend the day in the pen while your husband works. What about house training. I would definitely put a bed of some sort in the pen though. Puppies are not like babies that you put down for a nap. At that age they play for a bit then they fall asleep and when they wake up they need to go straight outside. I hope it works out for you but as far as your question goes if he really is going to be in the pen for any length of time it needs to be big enough for a bed, a play area and a toilet area.

Lurcherlad and Happy Paws2 like this.
  3. Katielouise525

Katielouise525 PetForums Newbie

Thank you. At the minute he is awake for an hour then asleep for just over an hour. During his awake hour, we do a toilet break, play in the garden, training inside, playing inside, toilet again then nap. The plan is to keep this routine but swap the training and playing inside for playpen time for a couple of those sessions whilst we work. We'll stay with him for an hour over lunch still and we have a camera to keep an eye on him too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice