Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

keeping our german shepard occupied

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Giraffe76, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

Hi all,

We have a 6 year old male german shepard who has hip dysplasia and last week was out exercising with our female german shepard when he turned sharply, yelped and started to limp on one of his back legs. We got him home and have been trying to find the right balance between resting him as much as possible whilst also taking him on really short 10 minute walks so he doesnt get bored but also gets a little bit of exercise whilst also trying not to agrevate whatever injury he has suffered but hes still limping although not as badly as when he originally did it.
    We phoned the local vets but nobody seems to want to help unless its a life or death situation so im now appealing to all you wonerful people as to how we can best rest him and what else we can do to keep him occupied.

Hope this post makes sense

Any help would be most appreciated

Kind regards Mark

#1 Giraffe76, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Tbh I would contact another vet, they should be seeing animals in pain regardless of what's going on. My vets have worked through the pandemic as normal, just made changes in how they work to ensure safety of their staff & clients. Whereabouts are you, maybe someone could suggest a practise?

In the mean time you could do some training that doesn't involve too much physical activity such a a hand touch or getting him to touch an object with his nose, split his meals in to interactive feeders (kongs etc), lick mats are also great for keeping them occupied.

Louise Mitchell, Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  3. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

Thank you very much. I think i will call our normal vets again to see if i get a different response. I forgot to add that we are already giving him anti inflamatories, turmeric and joint supplements

4. Louise Mitchell

Louise Mitchell PetForums Newbie

Hope you managed to see a vet. If not and you're still looking for ways to keep your dog busy, try freezing naturalyoghurt, king paste or something on a licky Matt or in a king. Also, shuffle Matt's are good to put some of their food in, gives them a bit of nose work too. There's also a slow feeding toy that my dog love and keeps him busy for a bit, it's called a magic mushroom. Hope this helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice