Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping my puppy cool

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by y2klovebug, May 24, 2010.

1. y2klovebug

y2klovebug PetForums Junior

Hi, im bringing home my 8 week golden retriever puppy in 2 weeks time, i want to home him in our conservatory (its brick up to waist height then windows up with a corragated plastic roof but that doesnt let much light in). My worry is him overheating when we are not there.

I want him to be homed there as it means he has a nice big space for when we are not there but when we are there he will be indoors/outdoors with us. The reason i don't want to leave him in the house unattended is that we have other pets that may not be very happy with this and im worried about him eating something he shouldnt and making himself ill (even though ive removed everything i can find at puppy level).

I was planning to put up net curtains around the windows to block out some of the sun and leave the top windows open to let a breeze in. I was also going to put a towell over the top of his crate (which will also be in a cubby hole with a worktop over it) to keep that cool and shady for him. I will also leave plenty of fresh water for him.

Has anyone got any suggestions for anything else i can do for him, to keep it cool out there for him?

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My conservatory sounds like yours and to be honest i have curtains up the doors and blinds up the windows and sheeted the inside of the roof with curtains to try to stop some of the sun, it still gets VERY hot! The 2 big dogs are in there in the day but they have the door open and have access to their concrete run with a gazebo over it, they have a paddling pool in there too. They keep cool on the concrete but i would never leave them in the conservatory in this weather with the doors closed.

Blade(my 8 week old pupster) is crated in my lounge at the moment to keep him safe and cool, do you not have the space to crate him while he is little then move him to the conservatory when he is old enough to be left with the doors open when it is hot??

If not maybe look into an air conditioning unit for his room? I know a lot of people on here have them.

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi ,congrats on your new pup!
    I would be inclined to suggest a smaller area for a new pup that isnt yet housetrained or learnt basics,as the larger the space,the more mischief it can get up to and the more puddles it can do!!
    Do you plan to crate train? or will pup have free run of the conservatory?
    Our lovely English summer isnt usually consistantly hot,but even in mild weather conservatories can get really hot and stuffy.Is the pup likely to be left for long periods or just for short times? Is it possible to house the pup in a smaller,cooler,room for the times you arent there,just until its older and trained?
    Maybe you could instal a fan,at a high level,or air con.

4. y2klovebug

I could crate him indoors but i didnt really want to lock him in his crate while we werent there as he might be bored, the conservatory just seemed like a good idea as ive emptied it so there is nothing he can chew or hurt himself on. Dont know what to do for the best really!!

5. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

I dont know how your conservatory is seperted from the rest of the house but if its patio doors or french how opening them up and putting a baby gate up in the space so the air in the house is circulated throughout, hope it helps

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

The best thing to do is set it up how you plan whilst we have this hot weather go out and leave it for a few hours then see what it is like in there when you come back. You should be able to feel if it's too hot. Puppies are like babies and can de hydrate MUCH quicker than adults.

A baby gate to the main house for airflow might help and is a good idea but you really beed to test it out and be brutally honest even if it means changing your plans.

7. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

We have a half brick conservatory and I would never leave ours in there as it gets far to hot...even with our blinds.
    Best Idea this weather would be to crate pup in the cool area of your home.
    Pup should be fine in a crate if not left to longer periods.
    Good luck with new pup.

8. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Blade is crated in the lounge for 3 hours maximum and he doesn't have accidents in his crate now when he is left, he had a spell of weeing in his crate but has never pood in it or in the bungalow so i am really pleased with the results of crate training him.

Hope you find a solution for your pupster. Look forward to lots of pictures and stories of puppy antics! :thumbup: :thumbup:

9. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

I'm sorry to say that the conservatory doesn't sound like a very good idea. I don't own a house with a conservatory but I live in a flat that has floor to ceiling windows on one side. My dog is crate trained and his crate is right next to the only window that opens (more like a door). With the weather we've had the past week I've been really worried about the temperature in the flat even with all of the blinds drawn. I can't imagine what it would be like in a conservatory.

The best advice I can give you is to crate your pup in the house. I know sounds cruel especially as you have other pets but I think it's risky to let him stay in the conservatory.

10. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Could you possibly put him in the kitchen, crated or not crated.

Another idea would be to buy a big floor fan like we've got and then direct that into the room behind a baby gate.

If your look to have your conservatory as the your puppies main room for where everything will be and where he will sleep, I'd start looking at air conditioning, as with the weather being the way it is they may be on offer :thumbup:

11. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

We have a kitchen with conservatory attached,all open plan,this is where Alfie sleeps of a night in his crate,with a fan on,but I agree that I would never leave him for any length of time in there of a day,.Why don't you go ahead and give your pup the play space in the conservatory during the day,when somebody is in,leave all doors and windows open and find a cooler spot for when he is crated,because the thing is when he is crated,he will not be able to get up and move if he feels too hot.It sounds like you have planned it well,to give your pup a nice area to play in,and he will be able to use it all the time from maybe September onwards.:)

12. Chippyy

Chippyy PetForums Newbie

Hi there! I use my conservatory as a very large terrarium for my lizards as I had both side and roof windows covered in conservatory blinds, which prevent heat from entering the space durring hot summer days and keep heat inside in winter. I got mine made to measure from this place: Blinds . I believe that by using conservatory blinds you'll make your conservatory an ideal place to live for your pets.

13. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

id use a crate. our conseratory was absolutely boiling even with blinds.... anda fan!

14. y2klovebug

Thanks for everyones sugestions. Ive sat and made him quite thick nets for the windows which block alot of the sunlight out without making it dark in there and ive been experimenting in there with those up and the windows open and i think with the combination of those, the concrete floor, and the fact that the plastic roof is so clogged up with moss that its not really see through anymore the room doesn't get too hot anymore- even when it was 25 degrees outside. (Ive put a thermometer out there and tested the temp at different times during the day). So think im still going to have him out there unless its above 25 degrees when i will crate him in the kitchen. Thanks!!

15. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

my dogs are mianly in my conservatory, but its sort of open into the house too, incorporating the office and then round into the kitchen, difficult to explaine really but, I have black out blinds on all windows and doors the ceiling is now also blacked out during summer, I have vents in the roof space to allow hot air to get out, and air conditioning units running all the time, and it STILL is sometimes very very warm in there during the day, so if I am not at home, I tend to secure the dogs in the kitchen and hallway to prevent them overheating.

Mo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice