Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping more than 2 bitch...

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lucy1012, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

Wondered if those of you with multiple bitches can offer some advice,

I have a 7 year old boxer (who is now spayed) and a 3 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. They both get on like a house on fire, neither is the dominant dog and they share pretty much anything, from beds, toys and food. Would introducing another bitch in to the equation be a bad idea, It would be another Ridgeback.

I have a big enough garden to split the current run into 2 sections and build kennels, if needs be, but would preferably like to give them all free run of the house and garden. I have only ever had 2 bitches at a time, and never had any problems.

Thanks
    Lucy

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I have 4 bitches (all entire) and they get on fine. Having said that the 3rd has been with us from birth (I have mum too) and the 4th is also one of ours - she did go to a new home at 10 weeks only to come back at 22 weeks. So we did have to reintroduce her.

Initially mum did not want anything to do with her, but this only lasted a day or so - now they are the best of friends. The pups are only 11 months old though, so I can't be sure that i won't have any issues later.

3. Lucy1012

Thanks for your reply, she is another adult dog so I know it will be a little more risky.

I was thinking about preparing the runs, just in case they are needed to be seperated at any point, besides I am going to do some 'Maisie' proofing in the garden anyhow so it'll not take much extra work than we already need to do.

I am expecting grumbles at each other but would ideally like to avoid any fights. I am the clear dominant figure in our pack which will help i'm sure. I suppose we will not really know until we try, and I had accepted her on the basis she will go back if it is a disaster.

4. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

Are you thinking about introducing the new bitch while Maisie has her puppies or at some time in the future? Personally, I would not bring another bitch into the house with a bitch with pups, at the very least it would stress the mum and at the worst you could have a nasty fight on your hands.

In the past I have kept up to 5 RR bitches together with no problems at all - but they were all family. Sadly at the moment I have 2 RR bitches that don't get on at all, which does make life very complicated!

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I used to have 2 bitches and a dog together. Never had 3 bitches together so sorry i can't advise but i hope all goes well with whatever you decide to do. You sound like you have all scenarios worked out so that's good.

I used to veterinary nurse and we had more 'bitch' fights within households come in than 'dog' fights which is why i have always had dogs since, but really don't know?!

6. Lucy1012

it'll be after the pups have gone... my sister in law has kept Ridgebacks for many many years and she says bitches together can be a problem. You know the more I think about it the more I am thinking it is not a good idea and may be better to try and introduce a puppy rather than an adult dog.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have 3 bitches, 1 neutered the other 2 entire. All 3 get on extremely well :) their ages are 13, 19 months and 10 months.

8. Ridgielover

Phew - that's a relief that it would be after the pups had gone! I think you are right about introducing a pup rather than an adult into the household.

Why don't you keep one of your pups from this litter if you want another one? You'll get pick of your litter and you must like both parents or you wouldn't have bred them together :D

9. Lucy1012

I would like a colour solid bitch and all of mine have white markings, Actually all 10 pups have white markings, which was surprising as dad didn't have a scrap of white on him. The bitch was offered was a perfect example of the breed from the Veldtkammer line, but I just don't think it is going to work. My sister in law has an unrelated litter being born soon, so maybe I will ask her nicely lol.

10. Ridgielover

White does have a habit of coming through. I do like some white on a RR. I like white toes and a bit of white on the chest - all quite acceptable according to the standard. White toes really do show off good movement.

Being nosey again - what lines are in your SIL's breeding?

11. Lucy1012

Her dog is from the Veldtkammer lines too, not sure about the bitch that is due her litter in July.

12. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 8 girls. 1 has been spayed, 4 are a year old and under and they all get along great

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

We've had 7 with no problems, all entire. The only times we have had problems is with keeping litter sisters. It involved making sure they never saw each other... they both wanted blood. This has happened twice both 2 litter sisters we ran on and kept. Fine until 18month old then suddenly turned on each other. They would have killed each other if crossed paths :scared:

14. mel

mel PetForums Member

Ive 5 female bulldog bitches all entire all get along fine apart frm 2 they get on fine with the others but hate each other with a passion and if get together fight, we do have a routine that works thankfully coz i i cudnt bare to re-home any of them...they used to get along fine but something happened they had a fallout and have never forgiven each other ! I do find that when ones in season i get a bit of bother with them hormones galore !! girls are defo worse than boys ive 3 males who are just fab and bless wen the girls start they run inbetween them to split them up (is true ! lol) xx

15. Lucy1012

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided not to take her, something about it just doesn't feel right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice