Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping lively dog entertained but not too mobile?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cinnamontoast, Mar 28, 2011.

1. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Having been diagnosed with dysplasia on Saturday, Zak needs to be entertained. He's a very lively, low boredom threshold puppy of 9 months. New experiences keep him happy and tire him out, I suppose because he has to think about them.

So far, we've tried:

1. buying and filling a kong with low fat foods (froze it and OH was thrilled that it kept him happy for so long and immobile on his bed!)

2. taking him everywhere in the car when we go out if feasible

3. empty lemonade bottle with top screwed on hard-takes him ages to get the top off (may add low fat kibble/treats)

4. whole carrot-didn't take long but was funny to watch!

5. gentle lead walks, not too far but not stupidly short, he needs to build muscle round his hip (hydro next!)

Please add any ideas for keeping him entertained and not running round. I can't stick him in his crate all the time, it's OK when I'm in the kitchen with him, but I don't want him isolated

#1 cinnamontoast, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Have you considered any of the interactive games that are avaliable for dogs! VetUK seem to have them half the price of elsewhere! have been tempted myself - but not given into the urge yet so cannot really say how effective they are
    DT

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I'm ashamed to say I know nothing about this so will just go have a glance. He's currently flat out with his brother and a plastic bottle between them-apparently very entertaining to paw it back and forth.:D

Edit: I quite like this one http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-toys-nin...tosson-finder-dog-interactive-toy-game-p-4845 but am wondering how it would work with three very food motivated dogs! I get the impression Zak might chew things-he's a 'strong' chewer!

#3 cinnamontoast, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice