Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping kittens in..

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jilvis, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

Our kittens are nearly 5 months old now and have been kept in the kitchen during the day up till now (where I am fairly sure they do little else but sleep) but as they get bigger I worry that they need more space and would like to let them have more of the house to play in while we're at work. Problem is, I have no porch so my front door opens directly onto the outside world - where my babies are not allowed to go yet. Thunder is obsessed with the front door and they both race for it when my OH turns his key in the evenings so I know they will be attempting escape as soon as I crack it open. How do people deal with this usually? I thought about making a screen out of cardboard but don't really think it would work. I am also considering coming in through the rear of the house and just shutting them out of the living room but our back gate is a bit tall for me to open from the wrong side :eek:

Any clever ideas??

2. loftybloke

loftybloke PetForums Junior

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to keep a tin can with coins in it by the front door. The premise is that if you shake this whenever the front door is used, they will associate the unpleasant noise with the door and avoid it. Our three haven't shown any interest in the door yet so I'm yet to test it but they definitely don't like the noise when I rattle it coming in through the door

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I've got very used to sticking my foot in the door when I open it to push back Gonzo before the rest of me gets to enter... seems to work.

We did let him outside for a wander the other night. He loved it!

4. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

I open the door slightly and throw some treats as far as I can, they get distracted, I sneak in :)

5. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

All good ideas (although we have had no luck blocking doors with our legs so far, the slippery little monkeys) so I might try a combination of these. Of course I might find they spend the day lazing on our bed once they are allowed so will be far enough from the door I can sneak in. We have CCTV cameras that don't have a home yet so maybe we can set those up facing towards and away from the door so I can check the lay of the land before opening it - that seems a bit overkill but if they are going to go anywhere then the hall isn't a terrible location anyway, I suppose.

6. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Drill a hole in the garden gate so that you can life the latch from the outside?

We only use one door (front door has a cat tree bolted to it) and shut the kitchen door to the rest of the house to provide an "airlock", so the cats can have everywhere except the kitchen, and we can get in safely. Whether this will work for you depends on the layout of your house.

7. JensterEX

JensterEX PetForums Junior

Handbag.

When I used to live in a flat, and my two were indoor cats, Ithil used to watch for me at the bedroom window, then sprint to the front door when he saw me disappear into the lobby. As soon as I opened the door, there he was. Big trouble if he ever got out coz he'd been down those stairs and out in a blink.

Solution. My handbag. Don't know about you, but mine is huge, and full of rattly things like keys.

Process to opening door:

1)Drop bag against door where it opens.
    2)Open door.
    3)Push handbag into gap ahead of myself with foot.
    4)Continue kicking noisy handbag into flat as I enter.
    5)Close door behind me and look down at scared looking kitty.

Worked every time. for three years!

Other solutions would depend on the layout of your house, but what about a net across the hallway? Far enough away from the door that you can get in and close the door behind you before taking it down. but not blocking access to important resources (like upstairs, litter boxes and food). Attach it to wall mounted hooks. Hook in place in the morning, unhook at night.

*shrug* I had a net like that blocking access to my juliet balcony (fake balcony, french doors with a railing across) was easy as pie to hook and unhook when I wanted to hang out laundry, but no more rescuing cats from the flat below at 1am when they fell out of the window!

8. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

Our gate doesn't have a latch it has a twisty handle (like a front door but with no keyhole on the other side) so would need to put a big hole in it to get my whole hand through. Still, its possible we could manage that. I don't know why such a complicated lock was installed on a garden gate, but there we go!! :confused:

I would like to create an airlock system if we can sort out the issue of getting through the back gate. Will look at it this weekend.

9. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

The net idea is interesting. Did you just use garden netting?

10. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Yes, I use the handbag solution too... Has worked for me although the door to my flat doesn't open directly onto the road!

11. JensterEX

Actually bought a cat net from zooplus. This one

I was a bit nervous of it at first since Ithil likes to eat plastic, and I thought he'd have a good munch, but he had one go and left it alone. Its really hardy, and takes a beating (Arnar tried to climb it numerous times - I'd cut off her access to her favourite sun bathing spot - never mind her being on the railing generally gave me heart failure!)

It doesn't seem to cut mouths or paws if they try to bite or climb either, so huge plus.

My dad actually suggested turning it into a roller blind (and hooking the bottom down with hooks at windowsill level) for my kitchen window, but then I moved into a house and never got around to trying. It should work in principal tho.

12. JensterEX

After a while it becomes second nature doesn't it? I've only been in my new house 3 weeks, and I'm still dropping my handbag by the door and kicking it in even though the cats have been allowed to go outside now! My partner thinks its hilarious, but I don't even think about it. House keys in hand = handbag on floor.

13. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

I will show this to my OH tonight and see what he thinks about whether we could install it - might be tricky due to awkwardly placed radiator and coat rack but I might be able to find enough wall to make it work :D

Thanks

14. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

With young kittens I use my foot and say "back" as I come in, they quickly catch on. We also use "stay" so the door can be wide open to bring things in or out and the cats stay put on the hallway rug.

They're also harness trained and know they don't go out without a harness on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice