Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping Fancy Goldfish - HELP!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Gert_89, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Hi, i recently (well 3 weeks ago) brought 4 fisheys for my new tank, ive lost 2 to which i think was swim bladder infection. One of my last 2 (Dory and Sparticus) started struggling to swim and floating to the top yesterday, i decided to read up on swim bladder and decided to try salt! I brought api aquarium salts and some swim bladder treatment. Got up this morning and shes fine! THANK GOD!! I would just like to know about the stuff that you all put in your tanks, as at the moment im only using nutrafin aqua plus and nutrafin cycle (and now the api aquarium salts). Iv started to feed them on pellets rather than the flakes am i doing all this right and what suggestions do you all have to keep my fish healthy and happy!! R.I.P SQUISHY AND BOOBOO!!

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Other things you can try to avoid swim bladder probelms is to feed live food every so often.

Also purchase a good aquatic anti parasite and anti biotic medication for your tank. You should treat your tank just in case you have brought anything in with your new fish as any other fish you add at a later date can become unwell.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

cOOKED PEAS WITH SHELLS REMOVED IS A GOOD FOOD ALSO FOR FANCY GOLDFISH AND YES LIVE FOOD IS ALLWAYS WELCOME. mY MATES ALSO LIKES CUCUMBER .

4. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Hi,did you just put 4 fish straight into a new tank??

5. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Hi, i was told to leave it with the pump running for seven days,which i did. But i didnt add any salt as i didnt know i had to put any in for goldfish :( Yes i put 4 new fish in ..... im guessing i shouldnt have?

6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hi :)
    Ideally the tank should have been cycled (which usually takes anything from 4-6 weeks) before fish were added. But the shops never tell people to do that, probably because they don't want to put people off from buying :rolleyes:

Info on cycling: Frequently asked questions on fishless cycling | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

Also 4 fish is alot to add all at once, so you may find that you have problems with your water quality. If you don't already have one, I'd definitely get yourself a test kit (like this one: .....API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT..... on eBay (end time 12-Aug-09 09:01:50 BST)) so you can keep an eye on it ;)

Oh, and your goldfish don't really need salt added to their water - I think salt is sometimes used to help with sick fish, but if they're doing ok now I would stop using it.

7. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Cheers!!! Ill do anything as long as their happly LOL :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice