Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping dogs cool in the heat (indoors)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, May 24, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

My house gets very hot in the hot weather and was just wondering if anyone has any tips on keeping the dogs cool?

I leave plenty of water (2 big bowls) and freeze bottles of water and put them out over the floor. I keep them in the kitchen as that is where it is coolest. I would only typically leave my dogs for 3 hours MAXIMUM on a odd day not every day, I am normally around, and therefore they go in the garden which has plenty of shade.

Thanks xx

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I don't knwo if you have aircondition, but in the summer I would nevere a dog alone in my house without it, even though I'm nebver gone more than 3 hours. The summers here in Cyprus get very hot though - up to 45 celcius!

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I have a fan fixed on the wall which I switch on but looking into air con. I can imagine it being roasting in Cyprus!!

4. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

So what is the temp in the UK right now? Over here we are having cool weather and very overcast they even predicted snow but think it by passed us thank goodness...Jill

5. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

We have a fairly large Carlton floor fan, which Milo is laying in front of right now.

Another thing is, if you have patio doors etc, open them but close the curtains :)

In Norwich where I am it's currently 19c, but yesterday it was 24c.

6. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Like 30 degrees celsius in West Sussex (South England). Its roasting!! x

7. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Isn't that unusally hot weather for you guys? My favorite temp is between 21 and 25 C hate it when its 30 way too hot for me the O/H likes it that hot. Anything over 28 I don't walk the dogs until the evening....Jill

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Yeah it it usually cold, wet, windy lol!! Has been a nice, but a little too hot now!!!!

When it is hot I either walk my dogs very early morning or late evening when it is at its coolest!! xx

9. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

You could try leaving a wet towel down for them?

The best place to cool a dog down is by his/her chest area, therefore a cold towel would do the trick.

It propably would smell by the time you got home though. I leave a cold towel outside for my boys so cant really smell it :thumbup:

10. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Brilliant!! Will try that x

11. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I have friends in America who use the K9 Cool coat .You can sometimes get them over here now on E-bay .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice