Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping dog warm

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Jan 7, 2021.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hello everyone.

At some point during the night my boiler looses pressure, and therefore the radiators stop working, by the time I get up in the morning my home is a lot colder then any of my pets (or me for that matter) are used to.

I have given Bungo blankets but he doesn't snuggle into/under them and he does feel cold to the touch in the mornings, I turn on an electric heater and he goes and sits in front of it, so I'm sure he does feel cold.

I'm worried about leaving him with an Equafleece on all night, but are there other options?

Thank you.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Could you get him some looser fitting pjs ? It’s freezing here my cottage is 200 years old and drafty. Loki gets under the duvet each night.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

All my dogs have had the Equafleece jumpers on over night with no issues. Ned currently wears one 24/7 as i can only have my heating on for about 2 hours a day.

A high sided bed, perhaps with a large blanket draped over and tucked in (Ned also has this).

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie is another who always sleeps in an equafleece in winter, and often wears one all day too. It definitely makes a difference to how she sleeps. Although she does also spend most of the night under the covers, snuggled up to me. Sometimes I wonder how she doesn't suffocate!

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As long as you check Bungos fur for any mats which might be caused by his equafleece. I don't see a problem. I have seen some horrendous felting caused by jumpers left on dogs when I worked at a groomers. I do think it was more bichon poodle crosses that were bad.

I was thinking of putting Maisie pj's on tonight which will only come off for walking purposes. Then put back on afterwards..She loves them. Oh I do shove them in the washing machine too.

I wish Harley would tolerate a jumper but no, not really.

Lurcherlad, ForestWomble and Boxer123 like this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I've used Timber's Equafleece tankie for him overnight when we were in the motor home in the Pyrenees. I'd have been a little more concerned if there had been any clips or fasteners but I didn't think he could get into any tangles with the tankie.

7. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Get @SusieRainbow to knit him a jumperi never have the heating on overnight so falcor normally wears PJ's
    I accidently left his beautiful jumper on him and got woken up at 3am with him crying for me to take it off
    He was like a piece of toast, I was do greatful for him snuggling up and warming me up

8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Fly (lurcher) wears an equafleece overnight, but the double coated 2 don't (they overheat easily). We don't have the heating on overnight, it goes off at 10pm (though at the moment we are popping it on for another hour to warm up the bedrooms before bed). It then comes on at 6.30am to warm up the house while we get up. Have you got a timer to see if that would work better than leaving it on overnight? He could then wear a light pair of jammies maybe?

9. ForestWomble

Thank you everyone.

Bungo has the dog coat in equafleece, so I'm concerned about the buckles.

It's supposed to get really cold tonight which is my concern.

I don't normally have the heating on at night, it's set to turn off at bed time and turns on about two hours before I get up, the problem is it's not turning on in the morning and the radiators aren't working that well so it's colder than normal anyway and it doesn't take much to get even colder at the moment :(

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Never bothered putting my anything on daisy, she sleeps at the bottom of my bed, or on the sofa, wherever she she chooses really lol.

just out of curiosity, what is your temperature in the mornings? When I get up mine is about 14c.

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you got an old t-shirt you could put on him, tied up to fit snuggly over the back (assuming he doesn’t lie flat on his back cos of the knot) ;)

Just that extra layer should make a difference.

ForestWomble and lullabydream like this.
  12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I probably wouldnt leave the coat on. The jumpers are pretty safe imo if you can get hold of one.

Will he let you cover him with a blanket?

ForestWomble and lullabydream like this.
  13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Reena has worn an equafleece day and night this week with no problems, she has quite a selection. I've just taken it off as she was hot and panting by the stove.
    Bobby is quite a 'hot-dog' so doesn't need one on as much which is just as well he's only got one and got it wet and muddy on his walk.
    We've never had a problem with entanglement, though Bobby was hobbling on 3 paws the other night , he'd got one of his front paws trapped in his arm-hole.:rolleyes:
    Tango would sometimes wake up with her fleece round her waist like a skirt but totally unfazed by it.
    Incdentally I've just ordered Bobby 2 fleeces, one from ebay and one from etsy, total about the same as one from Equafleece. I will report back on quality.
    @mrs phas I am delighted that Falcor's jumper keeps him warm ! I knitted my dad an aran cardigan once, he would sit there with sweat pouring off hm but wouldn't take the cardigan off !

14. ForestWomble

16C at the moment in the lounge, but when things are working normally it's 19C or 20C (need a temp of 20C for the gerbils).

I wouldn't bother normally either, it's just due to the boiler issues and how cold it's forecast to be tonight that has me concerned.

Yes, I do have an old tshirt, thank you.

Last time I tried he didn't like me covering him with a blanket, but I haven't tried lately, I'll see what he thinks as I'd be happiest with that as he can get out if he wants.

Jason25 likes this.
  15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We have the heating on 24/7 at the moment - just turning the thermostat down at night so it keeps the cold chill off at around 12-15 degrees.

If you have an electric heater why not have that on low in the bedroom and all sleep in there?

ForestWomble likes this.
  16. ForestWomble

I've found a blanket of mine that Bungo has shown a liking to so I'm going to try him with that tonight.

If the nights continue to stay cold, or get colder, I'll have to consider having him in my bedroom with a heater, but I'd rather avoid that if I can. (I don't like heating at night as I like a colder bedroom and can't sleep if too hot).

DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

We dont have the heating on here until around 4pm, it goes off at 9pm so overnight and during the day it gets cold. Overnight during minus temps Flynn wears a Hotterdog fleece rug coat with a Back on Track mesh coat over the top, plus a snood to keep his neck warm. He lies on a warm blanket on his bed and gets covered with a fleece too. However, he never stays covered so thats why he wears the coats.

He used to wear nice thick fleece jumpers overnight but at nearly 14 he can no longer get his legs through leg holes so we've had to resort to 'coats'. Given his age, short coat and very lean build, he has to wear clothing overnight.

ForestWomble likes this.
  18. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Both Pets at Home and Amazon sell self heating thermal blankets. Would they be any good?

O2.0 and ForestWomble like this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have one, it makes a rustling noise that T isn't too keen on.

ForestWomble likes this.
  20. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I know it’s not an instant solution but I have a puppy warmer pad (left over from when I had a winter litter). It looks like a fat frisbee, you put it in the microwave for 5 minutes and it stays hot/warm for up to 8 hours. Pop it in an old towel or something soft.

I still use it for me on nights when I’ve got cold feet and often next morning it’s still warm.

O2.0, margy, ForestWomble and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice