Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Keeping dog collars on?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by slakey, Jun 8, 2010.

1. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Hey I was just wondering if people keep their dogs collar on at all times, or if they only put them on for when your taking your dogs out?

I personally don't, mainly because when Zeus was younger his first owner done it and it sort of like stunted his hair growth where the collar is.

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

All the time just incase they get out the front. Its very unlikely they will but my brother-in-law has left both gate and front door open before now :(

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine only wear them when on walks.

In multiple dog households there's always the risk of teeth or jaws becoming caught in a collar and injuries, or even strangulation occuring.

Ive also heard stories of dogs getting caught on things, like cages or door handles and hanging themselves.

Plus mine hate them and scratch constantly which drives me nuts.

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie has his on all the time, expect at night in his crate. It's in case he escapes through the front door, he has his tag on it which is legally required when in public and it's something to grab if he's thinking of darting through the door.

It's never affected his hair growth or caused any problems around his neck as the collar is fairly loose.

5. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Same here, all the time, just incase they get out of the garden.

Their collars are just for holding their ID discs, when we go for walks I put their harnesses on.:)

6. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

One of the reasons I don't let my boys wear them around the house is in case it gets caught etc

7. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Koda usually wears his all the time, but sometimes goes 'naked'! Although this is usually when is collar is drying after a swim, or he's had a good brushing!

Always has his collar on when he's home alone.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its more common than people think.

I used to have collars on, and Oscar got his lower jaw caught in Alfies collar. Had no one been at home, idread to think what may have happened.

Not a risk i'd ever take again.

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

banjo wears hers all the time as quite often she`s waiting by the front door when i get in, she normally just herds us into the house but once she went darting down the street to greet someone and i`m worried that she could have went on the road or anything so i keep it on as something for me to grab hold of if need be

10. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

When Zeus and Milo are playing whoever's laying down normally gets their neck nibbled, so not a good idea for me.

11. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Zara doesn't wear hers in my house, only out in walks.

However her collar is kept on when in somebody elses house, especially if they are watching her when i am away on holiday.....

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi has hers on all the time except for bath and grooming. She is really strange - when you take it off she gets quite worried and wont rest until it's back on again. She was the same with her night time t shirt after she was spayed - got used to it and more or less asked for it on each night :eek6:

13. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

mine only have collars on when they are out walking, im too scared they will get hurt when they play with each other at home :)

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

My two have their collars on all the time. Tiger is very quick and too clever for his own good so i'm always worried he will get out one day, and my dad is brilliant at leaving all the doors in the house wide open so that he can just wander out :rolleyes:

Ruby is blind and is very slow and doddery so she doesn't get into enough mischief to get her collar caught anywhere. And the two of them don't really play together and certainly don't playfight or anything so there's no worry of jaws/paws getting stuck in collars.

15. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Always on. It's very thin and only used for ID. She is only ever walked on a harness. It's just you never predict when these things will happen (not that I ever expect anything of this sort to happen!) so I like her to have her ID on. I know she would never run away, but if the gates are open and there is a dog across the street for example, she may go to say hello, and then someone may collect her thinking she is stray/lost. She is microchipped but I like having my number easily accessible so I can be directly contacted without Bella to go through trauma...
    I'm off on a tangent here sorry!

16. channyy1x

channyy1x PetForums Junior

Mine has his on all the time apart from at night.this is because he likes to try and escape and has done on numerous occasions and I'd hate for him not to be identifiable to whoever found him.obviously its everyones choice but to all those saying they take collars off when in the hous incase the dogs play with each other and one gets hurt...dont you think it would be worse if your dog was picked as a stray, or managed to nip out and get hit by a car?

17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My lots collars stay on all the time. My living room opens straight onto the street so its the safest option in case they run out. Although Hannah has a lovely bald neck now where her collar sits even though its a soft fleece one. NM she loves having neck scritches on her bald bit!:rolleyes:
    Heidi has a kitten collar while I hunt down one in the right size. For smaller dogs cat collars are a good compromise. They can wear a tag but as cat collars have quick release mechanisms they shouldnt be able to get caught.:)

18. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Only when going out really, but they are for ID purposes, they arnt walked on them ever
    xx

19. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

only when out on walks i live in an apartment so i have no fear of bobby escaping and if he does he is stuck on my landing anyway lol. i don't leave it on him as it ruffs up his fur and makes him look scruffy

20. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Whenever I remember I take it off. Before he settles for sleep I try and take it off, when we get in and it's wet I take it off and when I am going out I take it off as I don't like to leave him with it on just in case he jumps up and catches it in something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice