Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

keeping a puppy on

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by alaun, Aug 18, 2009.

1. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I've been asked to keep a puppy on for an extra month by two of my prospective puppy owners. I'm happy to do this but do you think I should charge extra for the food consumed during this time? They will need their vaccinations too - should I charge extra for this or is this something that you would normally include in the price for puppy?

2. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

How old are the pups?

I would add the price of the vaccinations into the price but I personally wouldn't charge for food etc as I would still think of them as my pups :)

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hi,i have done this in the past and like Mollys Mum have charged for the vaccs but not for any food or wormer.

4. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies. They're only 31/2 weeks at the moment so none will be leaving until the end of September, but i just want to be armed with the correct information when they people visit at the weekend. They want me to hang on to them until late October.
    I'm more than happy to do this as the homes are worth waiting for - I think it will make it harder to say goodbye though!

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i would ask the others if they want to pay for vacs by giving you the extra now or adding it on to the cost of the puppy

I wouldnt charge for food or wormer because fif you couldnt find them homes you'd have to pay for anyway and wouldnt charge someone extra if you rehomed them at 20weeks say because you've feed them for longer.

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My personal thoughts.....Explain to them that when the puppies are 8 weeks old you require full payment at that time as well as the cost of vaccinations. As you could end up having a longer period in selling them as they will be an extra month older when they are to go, and if they DONT turn up then you are going to have to re-advertise these older puppies. This way if they are really genuine and good new owners to be, then they wont mind paying for the puppy at 8 weeks and then you look after them for that extra month, I wouldnt charge for food because they dont eat that much anyway, flea oils/worming the same they are cheap enough but that part is up to you,. If they are defo interested then they would mind paying before they go on holidays, I know I wouldnt mind paying for my puppy knowing I was going away for month.

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I would suggest getting something in writing just in case the extra charge was disputed later on when they collect the puppy.

8. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

We have kept puppies on for people on several occassions (and will be with the current lab litter as someone is on holiday when pups are due to go!). We dont charge any thing other than the vaccination as said by others.

We've never had anything in writing, and never had any problems with people not turning up. But i suppose for peace of mind it would be worth doing.

9. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone- I know I can come on here and get good advice.:)

I will draft something up about the extra vaccination costs, I think you're right getting something on paper is a good idea.

10. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

I also suggest this. This will protect the interest of both parties. Make it black and white what you want to charge them and if possible give them a breakdown of things you charged them.

11. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I've just learnt how to do photos so I thought you'd like to see the little darlings in question

Attached Files:

12. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Very cute photos

I keep a puppy on untill it was 14 weeks the owners payed the full amount for the puppy at 8 wks and she gave me on top £68.50 for the puppy course my vets do which was 1st jab and worming and then 2 wks later 2nd jab worming and mircochip,it turned out that when the puppy was 14 wks old she could not have him due to family problems so i refunded her the price of the pup - the deposit and said i will give her back the money for the jabs but she said not to worry as he was much older and might find it harder to rehome him and that for looking after him she did not want that money back I rehomed him in the end for half the price i sold him for at 8 wks plus he has all his jabs etc

13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

We have also kept a pup longer and we didnt charge anything extra other than the Vacc costs..:).

14. cav

cav PetForums VIP

yep kept a few i dont charge any extra and i dont mind doing it;)

15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Love your avatar Cav..stunning dog! :D:D:D

16. cav

cav PetForums VIP

hehe....thanks thats maisey:)

17. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

The breeder wanted to charge me £3.00 a day to keep my puppy for an extra 5 days.

I told them not to bother as i thought this was way too much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice