UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that if keeping a male kitten with its mum rather than a female kitten they are more likely to get on with each other? is this true?

My family have kept mother and daughter together and they fight all the time. They have both been neutered and are quite old now and have argued since young which is a shame. I am hoping to keep a kitten from my recent new litter and i really don't want this for my cats. I cant imagine it makes a happy life for them.
But i was thinking, surly it doesn't matter the sex of the kept kitten, just if they bond or not. I dont know if they grow up knowing they are family, do they?
so i guess its down to if they like each other in the first place?
Just like my Cat likes me more than my Fiance!! :arf: haha!!!
Or am i totally wrong on this?
Thanks

G

·
Far as I know, in wild cat colonies it's the females that are run out once old enough to go and start their own litters without being inbred with their male counterparts. Male cats stay with their mothers far longer.
It was a program on a colony of cats in Italy or something, where there were two main toms the program named Caesar and Brutus and it was explained in this program.

It's the same with Orcas. You'll see males aged 2 years+ still swimming with their mothers in the pod, still nursing as well.

I have a mother and daughter cat (my sister now has them) and they lived fine together however. But I do think a mother and son bond is something a little more special :) cos they're designed to accept it better.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
My two are mum and son and they are very very close.

Don't get me wrong, they have their fights occasionally but 95% of the time they totally dote over each other.... They often groom each other for 10-15 minutes at a time. It's quite clear that they love each other.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
My girls always seem to bond with their boys more deeply than their girls. In the current litter, mum's favourite is a little cream boy, and last year it was the same. Even grumpy granny will have a sneaky cuddle with a red boy, whereas she won't tolerate the girls.

That being said, I have a mother daughter who live just fine together. I would choose based on mum's favourite, not on sex.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will keep an eye out as to which she bonds with most then. I would like to keep a male so i'm pleased that she may be more likely to bond closer with a son. I'll have to try not to have a favorite to keep then incase she doesn't like that one as much.
They are all so cute and cuddly i could jut keep them all. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the info.:D

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
when i retire my queens i always keep a kitten for mum, probably sounds silly but its for my own peace of mind rather than what they want.
ive kept mum and son and also mum and daughter without any problems.:)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Was watching Harry groom his Mum Sabrina earlier and got a little video for this thread.

I think it's evident how much love is in the room :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hmm... I have Mum and two kittens, one girl and one boy. I have to say the Mum and boy are inclined to fight, and the girls just ignore each other. But it's early days. I'm sure it depends on the cats. Fuzzy (boy) is generally more naughty, so he probably annoys Mum more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.