Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

KC Registration Question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Migs86, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

Hi!
    I'm struggling to get a definitive answer online and tried calling KC but to no avail.
    My 1 year old Cocker bitch was bought from a registered breeder and KC registered Dam and Sire, but we were asked if we wanted ours KC registered but opted for not, as we weren't planning on breeding etc..
    However, now we are. And I'd like to know if it's still possible to register her.

I don't wish to get into a debate about why I chose not to, I just did - no big deal. Both Dam and Sire are fully health tested and I have all the paperwork, so it's not a case of "a bad breeder" etc..

I just want to find the right answer to my question.

Thank you!! :)

2. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Senior

From KC information : You can register your dog with The Kennel Club on the Activity Register. If you wish your dog to be on the Breed Register, you would need to discuss with the breeder as they are the only person who can apply for this, and both parents would need to be registered on the Breed Register.

Happy Paws2 and Burrowzig like this.
  3. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

You need to contact the breeder, they are the only ones that can do it for you really.

Not registering the whole litter as standard is a bit odd though o_O
    What is it that's changed your mind about the breeding plans?

O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

Not really odd if it's time and effort for the breeder and the new pup parents aren't that bothered about having a KC reg dog. Looking at the absolute dismal service the KC are dishing out the minute, I'm not surprised some don't bother.

re my own breeding plans, things change - i'd like to allow my dog one breeding season and keep one pup and sell the rest but I want it done properly and formally.

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

It's hardly a massive hassle to register a litter... thats got to be the easiest, least stressful part of the whole breeding journey!

Even if they're going to pet homes, why wouldn't you want the dogs you've produced to be able to be traced or included on the breed register?
    Especially if you've done all of the appropriate health tests and raised the pups as best you can, you should be proud to show them off to the dog world, not just "nah, can't be arsed".

If they can be registered, its definitely odd to not do so just for convenience.

Just out of curiosity, are the prices puppies are fetching nowadays a factor in your change of decision at all?

simplysardonic and O2.0 like this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your bitch can still be registered, as she is the progeny of registered parents, but, only the breeder can register her.

8. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

HI all -

I've been in rather "hot" contact with my breeder again to ask if there's a chance she could register my bitch. She has strongly told me that she WILL NOT register my bitch KC as I knowingly purchased an unregistered litter - her reasoning being that she wanted to sell the litter at "an affordable price" to pet homes, and not KC'ing them meant that she didn't have to sell them at the exorbitant prices they were going for. I smell bullshit somewhere..

My response was that KC'ing a litter is not a privilege that should bear a monetary cost, it's just a way of keeping a track of lineage and testing. She seems to think that KC'ing in fact carries a price and one which she didn't want new pet owners to have to bear, so she chose not to KC and sell at a more affordable price.

I can see her view -albeit totally wrong, but she is completely refusing to register the dog despite my offering to pay etc.

What options do I have here?? It seems ludicrous that there's not way for me to register a legitimate, healthy pedigree animal!!

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

As you bought the pup knowing she was unregistered I don't think you can door say anything to change her registration status now unfortunately.
    If you want a breeding bitch you will need to buy a pup from a breeder, registered with no breeding endorsements .

10. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

nothing to do with prices - just want to give my dog the chance of having a litter, we keep one and sell the rest. I come from a family of past breeders and would like the chance of having the experience too. Quite simple really.

Of course at the time, I wasn't too concerned about breeding, but things change once your animal grows up to be a beauty. See my latest response with my breeder.

11. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

I get that totally - then why does the KC offer the ability for people to register dogs KC after years of being unregistered? The way I see it - people change their minds, and if they want to KC then I don't see why the breeder is being stuck up about it -it's a simple process.

12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It could be that she's hiding something. Frustrating as it is she holds the winning card.

13. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

Quite - I just don't see what as i've gone through all the health testes again and Dam and Sire certificates and checked them online - all legitimate.
    Unless the plan was to have a consecutive unregistered litter, or this was the consecutive litter; thus unable to be KC'd.
    Perhaps she's just plain daft and her reasoning, despite being ludicrous is genuine.

Is there no other way of KC'ing despite having the lineage certificates etc..? Breed assessment etc..?

I'm only bothered about KC'ing now as it's only right to give potential owners of pedigree pups a certificate to prove their lineage and pedigree.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you been in touch with the kennel club to ask these questions?

15. Migs86

Migs86 PetForums Newbie

currently on hold - 46 minutes later!

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

How frustrating!

17. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

As it only costs something like £17 for a breeder to KC register a puppy, her story of wanting to sell to pet homes to save the buyer from ‘exorbitant’ prices is a load of old tosh. I suspect indeed that she has something to hide, could be anything but could be that either the sire or dam had endorsements preventing breeding or the bitch had more then 4 litters already thereby disqualifying her from KC registering any puppy.
    The KC has rules in place about who can or cannot register puppies, allowing anyone to suddenly want to KC register a dog brings risk that the dog is not who the owner is claiming it is, such as not the offspring of the parents or not even the breed it is claimed to be, I could go on. So you have to have rules such those that are in place currently in order to protect the breed. It doesn’t matter whether you think it’s daft or not, it is what it is.
    Personally I think you e been thoroughly duped by this breeder.
    If you want to get into breeding dogs then find a decent breeder and get help and advice and a puppy from them. However if you just plan to breed in order to supply dogs for the pet market or because you think your dog needs to have puppies (they don’t by the way) then you are less likely to find ethical and conscientious breeders that will support you in this endeavour. On the other hand should you wish to either show or work your dog and try to better the breed then the support will be there.

18. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Senior

You can't register on the Breed/show registry the breeder has to do that didn't do it then and sold as unregistered, if they were willing to do it now it costs more as your pup is over 12 months old, you can register on the KC Activity register and then of course you can train, work. compete and achieve to get your own dog up to working championship status

I don't beleive the breeder with regards to price offered to new owners and cost of registering as it is a nominal cost, it is far more likely the breeder is breeding far more litters than the KC allow them to register , and/or the parent/s they claimed are not the parent/s

19. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Spot on, I suspect this litter does not meet KC regulations hence now refusing your request. Tbh a decent breeder would have automatically registered them. Suspect you have been duped.

20. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

You knowingly bought an unregistered dog, so there is not much you can do about it. The breeder didn't give you false information as you were aware what you bought.

The KC can accept dogs that are not registered onto the breed rescue, but I'm sure the dog has to pass all the heath tests for the breed and has to be assessed by a show judge. There is probably other criteria too.

If you know the name of both parents you can check them on the KC website, it may give you some clues as to why the litter isn't registered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice