KC registration. How important?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LKixley, Feb 9, 2018.

1. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Do you have Hovawarts @Goblin ? Beautiful dogs my friend brought them into the UK.

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Had my hovawart Benny who was blind from a rescue but lost him in November. Should be picking up Bobby tomorrow https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/meet-bobby.473920/ Obviously they are a lot more common in Germany as I never heard of them before I came here (live in Germany).

3. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Sorry to hear about Benny hope you have a lot of fun with Bobby. I have never seen a Hovawart except my friends and at shows

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If a dog is KC registered then that will tell you the heritage and breeding behind the parents. One of the criteria to register a litter of puppies,
    is that both parents are kennel club registered themselves. So if one or both parents isn't registered themselves then any progeny cant be.
    There are other reasons too why a dog or puppy cant be registered either, even if both parents are registered themselves.
    If the Dam (mum) has already produced 4 litters then any more after this cannot be registered, If the Mum has reached 8 years old when she has the puppies again they cant be registered, the mum was under 1 year old at time of mating, If the puppies were the result of a close mating, mother to son, father to daughter, brother and sister then again any resulting pups cant be registered, If the mum has had two previous litters by C-section then you cant register any more after that, the mum was not in the UK when she had the puppies, the last reason is if the dog has an endorsement on its registration put on by the original breeder, like progeny not eligible for registration, this means that any resulting pups cannot be registered if the mother or father has this endorsement on their own registration. So there are numerous reasons why a pedigree dog may not be registered. Be aware though even if a dog is KC registered this does not always mean that the dog is health tested or comes from a good reputable ethical breeder, you still need to research and asked questions about health testing, how and where the pups are raised etc.

You can find more about health testing that parents should under go before being bred from on the links below. The first also explains the difference between and F1 (first cross) F2 and so on.
    http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/cavapoo/

Further health testing available on Min Poodle
    http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/miniature-poodle/

Further health testing info on CKCs
    http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/

Dogs trust has good info on sourcing a breeder, what questions to ask, what should make you suspicious etc etc
    https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/advice-for-owners/buying-a-dog/buying-a-dog

Its often much easier to source a good breeder who health tests, and raises the puppies correctly with a full pedigree dog then some of the crosses or so called newer designer breeds. This is because due to the popularity, you have many non ethical breeders and puppy farmers as well as back yard breeders producing them often for one sole goal in mind for profit.

There is now a Cockapoo owners club and they do have some advice of there about cavapoos too which you can find on the link below
    http://www.cockapooowners-club.org.uk/cavapoos.html

5. LKixley

LKixley PetForums Newbie

Ok thanks for that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

6. LKixley

LKixley PetForums Newbie

Ok thanks for that. I appreciate your comments.

7. LKixley

LKixley PetForums Newbie

Wow that’s a brilliant reply. Thank you. On that basis full pedigree parents that create a crossbreed and that are kc registered and fully health tested from a reputable breeder may the way to go. Although my point about not finding a KC registered mum with some bigger breeders leads me to believe that she might not be registered for some of the reasons you outline above. Trying to find one still creates a problem.

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

As I understand it good breeders who have kc registered bitches and studs and do all the health testing required and recommended won't generally be interested in producing crossbreeds by mating their bitch or stud to a different breed. If they are good ethical breeders then producing crossbreed does nothing to further their breed or meet other aims they might have such as showing, competing or improving health. A well respected breeder would see little benefits in producing a mix unless the primary motivation was money.

There are lots of "poo" breeds including puppies in rescues. Perhaps that might be something to consider if your heart is set on this cross breed.

bumbarrel likes this.
  9. LKixley

LKixley PetForums Newbie

Okay that explains a great deal..

10. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The lack of KC registration would make me suspicious as to what they're hiding. So, they've either bred outside the regulations of registration as listed by Sled Dog Hotel or they themselves have bought from a line of non registered dogs.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a Cavapoo breeder who is performing all recommended health tests on their dogs. Some will offer the bear minimum tests such as eye tests and DNA tests, but the more important ones such as SM or MVD are usually non existent and those would be deal breakers for me.

As mentioned already, either purebred of this mix would equally have the traits you seem to love and you will find it much easier to come by a reputable breeder of either.

11. LKixley

LKixley PetForums Newbie

That’s very useful. Thank you v much.