Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

KC registering

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Niamh, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Niamh

Niamh PetForums Newbie

Lollipop is due her puppies on 8th July so Im trying to get as organised as I can now.

She was mated with a pedigree Shih Tzu but she herself is not a pedigree- she came from the same situation- daddy was pedigree but mum wasn't.

Im wondering do I register these puppies on KC? Generation certificates etc??

I've never done this before and I wanted to get it all correct before I offer any puppies for sale.

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

You can't register them.

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

As Hawksport has already said, you can not register them. Both parents need to be registered for their puppies to be.

4. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

As Hawsport says, you can't register them with KC. Both parents have to be registered KC dogs in order to register them.

What is more important than registration (as these are non KC registered pups), is that you provide aftercare advice to the new owners. Obviously you should be on the end of the phone, but writing out notes on various topics like toilet training, health, care during a season (and neutering) etc are very important.

If you have their pedigree you could print something out using either word or excel, but please make it clear to puppy buyers that this is not registration. Some think any paperwork given is registration and are disappointed to find out it is not and they can't do the activities with their dogs they wanted to.

5. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

As above both parents need to be registered in order to register the pups with the kennel club.

You may be able to register them with DLRC (Dog Lovers Registration Club) but there is a difference and you will not be able to advertise the pups are KC registered but DLRC registered but buyers will expect the price to reflect this.

Sorry that we are the barers of bad news :-(

6. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

You must make it clear to puppy owners and put it in a contract clearly stating that the parents were health tested to breed specific requirements (assuming they have been) and that they are not eligible for Kennel Club Registration and the reason why. You must also explain that they are not able to show under any KC licensed Conformation Show, many new owners are ignorant to this.

I have to be honest though and you probably won't like this, but this is very basic stuff and ideally you should have known this before deciding to breed her. I only hope you stay around on here so we can guide you through it all. Breeding is an incredibly difficult past time and a huge amount of knowledge is needed to keep mum and pups alive.

I wish you luck. We are all here to help.

8. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't waste the money it costs to register them with DLRC - it isn't a valid registration and simply a pedigree writing service so not worth the paper it's written on. Instead, if you want to give the new owners a pedigree certificate, use the online one Snoringbear has mentioned and print them off yourselves.

9. Niamh

Niamh PetForums Newbie

wow thanks for all the replies.

I thought that your answers would be what you have given, but just thought I'd ask anyway.

I had been looking at puppy ads and they all mentioned the KC papers etc and I suppose I was just wondering what I could do for my girls puppies.

I was planning on making a little booklet for each puppy- photos of mum and dad, their history, and a full guide on what they've been weaned on, their habits and what to expect in the first few months etc.

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

That would be nice for new owners, a piece of vet bed with mums smell on would be nice too

11. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Would you like to post this comment on a certain other thread where I have been ridiculed and more for saying so :rolleyes:

12. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

pm me swarthy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice