Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

KC Registering Dogs With Unverified Parentage

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by frodos_electric_guitar, Apr 21, 2011.

1. frodos_electric_guitar

frodos_electric_guitar PetForums Member

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

But if they don't know the parentage of the dog, how can they prove the dog is a pure breed?

Take SBTs for instance, there are a lot of cross breeds that look very much like a dog of that breed and often leave some saying the dog is a cross and some saying it's not. It would be very hard to prove that the dog is a pure breed based on the personal opinion of two people.

would it not also be open to unfair judgement? Say whoever has the job of 'verifying' the dog has a personal grudge against the owner/breeder of the dog in question, could they not perhaps reject the dog purely for personal reasons?

I'm sure there are ways and means around it and I do think it IS a good idea on the whole :)

3. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i was just reading up on this, as far as i can tell the dogs need to be verified by 2 championship judges to be of the breed standard, dna tested/profiled and have all the health tests relevant to that breed. surely the judges and dna profiling would determine that they are in fact pure bred?

4. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

The DNA profiling mentioned isn't to identify breed, it's just create a permanent DNA identity for the dog. DNA testing for breeds is not reliable anyway.

Overall it seems like a good idea, but without knowing parentage, then it's impossible to calculate COI for matings, which is the basis of the KC's new Mate Select scheme.

5. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

oh well perhaps that settles it then, I only read that they had to be verfied by the judges! Lets just hope the DNA profiling is accurate :)

6. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

That would be my big concern - I can see why people would think this is a good idea, but for me I also think it could add problems.

7. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

DNA profiling is just a way of proving a dog is the dog you say it is - so sadly wouldnt be able to prove breed!

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In theory it is good, as the criteria states that The applicant has to say where the dogs aquired from, has to be varified by a breed judge that its a good specimin, has to have DNA tests and all the relevant health tests for the breed, which should hopefully include any available DNA health testing too which is the only 100% sure fire way its clear, a carrier or infected especially in the case of conditions that can appear as later onset.

There is a mention further down though of "If a dog is of unknown origin"
    which slightly contradicts the original "The applicant has to say where the dog is aquired from" and if Ive read it correctly unknown origin wont necessarilly rule it out being put on the register. As long as it meets the other criteria.

Ive a suspicion the scheme could be open to abuse, by people without any scruples. The KC now wont register close related matings and quite rightly so, which did tend to tick off some breeders, and as someone has already mentioned without knowing parentage, how do you know the co-efficients of inbreeding. Could this be used as a way, to work in dogs to your lines, that you otherwise wouldnt be allowed to KC register? Or am I just being an old sceptic.

9. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

another big concern for me is someone that has bred an endorsed dog, a dog that has had 2 or more c-sections a dog thats to young, to old or had to many litters - all these reasons would stop 'breeder' being able to register the litter - but whats to stop them registering a pup they keep back under the unverified parentage scheme? I feel that this is going to add aload more problems, and dogs/lines will suffer.

10. frodos_electric_guitar

frodos_electric_guitar PetForums Member

People are raising good issues. Silly me didn't think people would try to get around the system. :( What a sad world we live in. The idea is nice (as some breeds really do need a shake up) but now I see many holes in it.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If used correctly then it would be great to introduce much more genetic diversity. It would ensure that anyone had to do all the health testing too as they wouldnt be able to register the dogs in the first place, so there would be no chance to avoid it. But it can be open to abuse too to get around the current conditions of registration. It has merits but downsides too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice