Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Katie made a new friend today :)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Katherna, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

Katie gets nervous around larger dogs - lab size or there abouts, ever since she was bitten by a neighbours staffy. Today I managed to get her a nice long lead - 10m one from our local rescue charity shop. Where I live there's new dog control orders so basically all open green spaces apart from designated areas dogs must be on a lead. This works well for Katie as other dogs won't be running towards her to play and she's happier to be on a lead than off one.
    I took her to the local park near my sons school for a wander about on her new lead. Admittedly I haven't used one of these for years so yes I did manage to tangle it around my legs, feet etc for a while. There's always at least 1 dog there so I figured she could make up her mind if she wanted to meet the other dogs there or not.
    Today she met and actually played with a lovely black lab who was having a nice walk. It was only when the chap walking his dog turned around to walk another round of the park that I realised it was a guide dog - it wasn't working it was having it's walk and some time off - he had it's harness in his hand by then. It was sunny and he had sunglasses on and no sign of a guide dog harness anywhere, he could see that Katie was mainly black. The dogs had a lovely time playing around together. While I was waiting for my son to finish school the dog walked past and Katie was wagging her tail at it - I had to tell her the dog was working, the chap cracked off laughing and stopped to say hello to Katie. Hopefully she'll feel a little braver about meeting other dogs now.
    I should have taken some piccies but my mobiles battery was almost flat :(

#1 Katherna, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

what a lovely story....and it just goes to show that dogs can teach each other far more than we ever can! bless her!

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Lucky! I met a guide dog on holiday this week, and the temporary carer daren't let the dog play, because of the training investment put in, in case of accident.

The guide dog was unusualy a Flatcoat Retriever, and acting quite boisterous without the working harness, seemed very eager to play.

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Awww well done Katie :)

And good on Katie's mum for sorting your problem out with you :thumbup:

Lot's of lovely happy walks for you two :D

Em
    xx

5. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

Obviously I asked the chap if it was okay for my dog to meet his first. She's not very boisterous with other dogs anyway, she walked next to and lots of tail wagging at first. The lab was the one that wanted the play, and Katie joined in they obviously knew the rules of the game (I didn't). I've seen the lab playing with other dogs in the park previously so knew it was okay with other dogs. Katie seems to just ignore other dogs if they want to play with her or sits next to me she doesn't join in and it's not as if she's never played with other dogs, my mum had the lurcher and a terrier when she had Katie as well and the three of them used to play together.
    Katie was fussed over by almost all of my sons classmates when they came out of school. I know she's sound with kids she has to be with my little one and the 2 little grand-kids all over her all the time. She sighs and gets into bed when 7pm comes as it's their bedtimes, I'm sure she's worn out by then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice