Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Karlo weird walking

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cazzer, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

My lovely 8 month old wegie seems to be walking a bit weird. He's walking all the time as though he is going to pounce on something. He doesn't seem to be in pain and he doesn't seem to be swollen/tender at all.

He's eating drinking ok. He seems pretty bright.

He and his sister have had a bit of diarrohea recently and yesterday test came back positive for campyrobacter. I did read that this is often found when there are other infections going on. They've had tablets for that and things are now ok. Vet said when she saw him a couple of weeks ago that he was a bit gassy in his abdomen. He was wormed about a month ago.

I'm getting myself into a state that he's got FIP. Dangers of reading too much on the internet I guess. Have appointment at vets tomorrow. I'm so worried about the little man.

#1 Cazzer, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Cazzer-Not sure exactly what you mean by the walking but does it resemble the way cats walk along the ground during thunder and lightning for instance? If this is the case then something may have spooked him?

Otherwise, I would have thought something is making him uncomfortable or he may be in slight pain. Gas build up perhaps?

I doubt very much if he's got FIP in view of campyrobacter finding

3. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Thanks very much

he's walking crouched down with his front paws but normal with his back. So I guess yes it would be as you say if he was spooked. He's been doing it all morning though so wouldn't think it was because he was frightened.

re the campyrobacter. We only got a fecal sample from his sister but vet said it was likely that given both had the same symptoms their diarrohea was caused by the same thing so not to worry about getting a sample from him as well.

If it were gas what could possibly cause the build up?

#3 Cazzer, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Gas build up is common with digestive problems but if stools are normal now then this is less likely. Do know though that with Campylobacter the animal can be asymptomatic for ages but stress can trigger things like the diarrhea etc. So maybe something has frightened him after all? Difficult to know really.

Not seen the walking you describe exactly and difficult to pinpoint the cause! Obviously give the vet a call if any other changes to feeding toileting etc.

5. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

thanks very much.

there's no change this morning. I'm worried sick. Vet's appointment at 10.00

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Good luck at the vets. I do hope he's okay and there is no serious problem ((()))

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How did it go at the vets?

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

thanks for asking.

we've had to take him to the vet hospital. The vet made him flex his back and legs and all seemed ok. Didn't appear to be any neurological problems or any pain when this was done. However he was the most wriggly cat I've ever seen when she was touching his abdomen, so she believes the problem is there. She gave him a shot of vetergesic to hopefully make him feel more comfy. The plan is for blood tests, scan and x-ray as necessary at the hospital. She said she thinks it is very unlikely that is FIP but she she said she wouldn't rule it out as a possibility either.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm wondering about pancreatitis here though this is more usual in inappetent cats though not always.

No doubt with all the tests you'll have a result soon or hopefully it may resolve on its own!

Is he at the hospital now?

10. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Hi Ianthi

yes he is at the hospital now. We've been told to ring at six assuming they haven't phoned us first. He certainly had a good appetite this morning although I did think he was a bit off his food last night. Thanks for your support

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

You're welcome!

Hopefully you'll have the results soon. I tend to agree it's unlikely to be FIP though. Do ask about pancreatitis though because sometimes this can get overlooked by ( some ) vets and the tenderness you mention could easily point to it! You need a special blood test ( PLI test ) which is not part of a routine panel.

Keep us posted!

12. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Ianthi it seems you could be right.

Have spoken to the vet and she said that Karlo's blood results are normal with the exception of calcium and albumen which are both slightly raised but at the high end of normal. Due to the pain relief she had a better feel of his abdomen than the vet at my branch and says the pain is at the front of the abdomen, rather than everywhere which it seemed at my branch. She seems to think that it is pancreatis but she says due to bank holiday and only one place in the country testing for it she is going to have to wait to send off the sample. She is therefore going to treat him as though this is what he has got. She will reassess later and if he is still in pain then look at the scan and xray. Apparently he is being his normal cuddle bug self and was really laid back even watching them take his blood sample! Probably won't hear anymore now until tomorrow.

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Interesting! They'll have to send off a sample to IDEXX but results should be back in a few days.

I wouldn't worry about the highish albumen-this is often a sign to dehydration which is consistent with pancreatitis. The pancreas can be difficult to visualise on an ultrasound but u/s can be helpful sometimes.

Good to hear he's tolerating the vets well! When will he be home?

14. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

didn't mention going home at all so until tomorrow at least I guess.

15. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

well I spoke to another vet this morning who was of the opinion that his abdomen was ok. He said they would wait for the pain relief to wear off and if he was still ok in the abdomen he could come home.

However, just spoken to the vet who I spoke to yesterday and she says now the pain relief has worn off he is very uncomfortable again. She is therefore going to do the scan/xray to eliminate foreign bodies etc. Apparently he is still being a complete tart and wanting belly rubs. My poor little man :(

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Think they should do a scan regardless to be on the safe side. My hunch is pancreatitis because I'd imagine a foreign body would be palpable on physical examination and he'd be vomiting more etc. and I would definitely have the PLI test because unfortunately this condition can recur.

Incidentally, stress can be a trigger in acute cases!

17. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Looks like you were right! They did the scan and everything was ok apart from the pancreas. Unfortunatly that was so full of gas that they couldn't see anything. They are going to try again tomorrow hoping that the gas will have moved along. So indications are that it is in fact pancreatis. Well the little man did have a stressful start when he first came here as he developed a sore eye within days and is chlamydia positive.

My friends 13 year old Birman has lost weight dramatically and she has been waiting for test results to come back for her. She rang and spoke to our vet who was at the hospital today as her cat was being sick a lot today. I don't think all the tests have come back but he thinks she has IBD, pancreatis and liver disease. My friend is devastated.

18. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Of course infection can also be an initial cause though I would have expected a high white cell count in bloodwork! Also pancreatitis can range from mild to severe and your little guy's case sounds moderate to me.

Sorry to hear about your friend's cat. Sounds like vet is thinking of triaditis where all three occur together though let's hope the blood tests reveal otherwise. Lots of cats have IBD and pancreatitis and cope very well though things are a bit more complicated when cholangiohepatitis is involved though this doesn't necessarily mean it's fatal!

19. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Thanks Ianthi

Just had an update from the vet. His temperature has gone up despite being on AB. They managed to do a scan and found that his lymph nodes in his pancreas are swollen. They have taken a urine sample to rule out a kidney infection. He has been tested for feline leukemia and is negative. They have also done the test for FIP, at which point I was beginning to get really upset but the vet said this is more to rule it out. She says depending on what the results are they may have to do a biopsy.

I'm so worried about my little man. I'm crying as I type this.

#19 Cazzer, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  20. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sending you lots of hugs Cazzer and positive thoughts for your boy ((())) Hope he's on the mend soon xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice